Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hannah--antics of the past (I hope!)

A blog buddy FB'd about her daughter cutting her hair. I saw the pictures, and it's sad, but not HORRIBLE. I can beat it.

Our beautiful Hannah has cut her hair, not once, but TWICE! The first time she had help--in the form of an older brother. They did an amazing job, but it was drastic. Look at the photos:

Before:

After:





Then, last year, Hannah did it AGAIN! They say lightening doesn't strike twice in the same spot, but "they" don't know our Hannah. It was the day before her tonsils were coming out, and she was watching a movie on the computer. Toph was home from school, really sick, and I was SO tired from being up all night with him that I was napping on the couch. Toph got up and announced that Hannah had cut her hair. I was TOTALLY unprepared for the sight that greeted me:





There's not much you can do to "fix" that. Here's how we "fixed" it:





Here's what she looked like just 2 months before, as she was pigging out on her birthday cupcakes:



Now, Hair grows back. It's one of the things we can count on. This is Hannah about a year after the devastation:

But this was traumatic for my baby, because a LOT of people asked her if she was a boy--or just referred to her as a boy. She started school and kids in her class asked her if she was a boy. She DID have a boy hair cut, in their defense. I'm REALLY hoping that the trauma of that will help Hannah to decide to leave the hair cutting to the professionals! I don't know if I can live through lightening striking the same place THREE times!

3 comments:

Crystal said...

Thank you! As devastated over her new mullet that I am, that did help. I saw your pictures and thought "how would you fix that?!" But you did.

Lilly will be getting her fix this weekend. And I will just mourn her hair in silence.

Laura Keith said...

You do hide all of the scissors now, right?! Hair does grow! It's a hard lesson to learn, especially at that age. I can remember thinking that you could go to the barber and get your hair cut LONG... that was what my childish imagination thinking when I was her age. Of course, now you CAN get extensions, but I don't think they did that 30 years ago :) Tell her we said hi!

diane said...

Your girl doesn't do anything halfway.