Friday, March 13, 2009

Write a Letter!

Warning: This post contains a rant. If you do not want to read a rant, read another blog.

One of "my phrases" that my family knows me by is: "I'm going to write a letter." When I encounter situations that are not to my satisfaction (AND when I encounter things that are beyond my satisfaction), I have oft uttered the phrase, "I'm going to write a letter...." I did it when I was little and it was raining and we couldn't see the lane lines in the road. The Mayor wrote back and explained why fluorescent paint was NOT a good alternative and what WAS going to be done to help the problem. I did it when Chipotle gave FREE entrees to people with library cards one day last year--SUPERIOR service when the line was 45 minutes long! I've done it many times and for many reasons. And email makes it even easier to send a letter.

This morning I was grousing about the fact that ELEVEN TENURED teachers at our Elementary School got pink slips (layoff possibility notices required by law). California is a great place to live. There are lots of perks--like the weather. We have budget woes just like the rest of the country--SERIOUS budget woes. You can't live in deficit forever, and sooner or later, it's going to catch up to you. I *think* our country's leaders are finally learning this lesson. But it's going to be painful for all of us.

Budget problems in California are no stranger to teachers. EVERY year many teachers receive pink slips. The schools are required by law to give you a pink slip if there's a possibility that you won't have a job the following year. I got one almost every year I taught. The State government starts making noise about "have to cut the budget" and then the Districts send out WAY more pink slips than they need to, so that they aren't forced to keep staff they can't afford, and then it all gets ironed out later. If you're lucky, you find out that you get to keep your job at your same school site--before you leave for summer break. MANY times you find out that you have a job (school site and grade level are often different) THE WEEK that school starts--because that's how we roll here in CA. I won't even go into my rant on how backwards THAT is, but the State government gods need their chance to make their budgets and all of that gets decided (or not) in about June.

Let me refocus: My rant today is on the upcoming budget cuts to education. For there to be ELEVEN (TENURED) teachers at my kids' school site getting pink slips, the proposed cuts are heinous. Times are tough; I get that. But the future of our Nation/State/Family/etc. rests in the hands of our children. They will be the leaders of the future. We can't AFFORD to skimp on their education today. And I'm not just saying that because I was a teacher. Keeping class sizes low is especially important at the Elementary School level. This is where our children learn (or don't) the most basic building blocks of the rest of their lives. Trust me, I saw the fallout for when that didn't happen. When Johnny doesn't learn how to add 1/2 + 1/4 in elementary school, it has consequences. When Susie can't read the directions on her worksheet, where was the ball dropped? Elementary school. If you don't "get it" there, you aren't going to "get it" later--not without a LOT of help. And we can't afford that help, because we can't afford regular teachers. The ones who could have made a difference in the first place.

Do you even realize how much of a teacher's personal money goes into his/her classroom? Where my kids attend school, we get a list of things that the parents are expected/requested to donate to the classroom--ok, so I give pencils, crayons, markers, paper, binders, kleenex, band-aids, and all kinds of stuff. I also donate to PTA and the "no fundraisers" fund. And then I see my kid's teacher SPENDING HER OWN MONEY at Staples to copy worksheets to give to my kid's class--because her "allotment" of copies was used up for the month (this happens EVERY month early on). The basic supplies they are funded for are insufficient. That's the bottom line. A teacher who cares will always spend personal money to purchase things that will enhance the class. That's just part of being a teacher. But the fact that it's NECESSARY just to do the job is not right.

Part of the problem is that the Government tells the school Districts to cut $$$$ from their budgets, but doesn't dictate WHERE the money has to come from. This is unfortunate, and I'm not exactly sure they CAN dictate where the money comes from. I taught an elective class. Electives, Librarians, and Nurses are among the first to go. Why should a kid have art, auto shop, wood shop, home economics, library access, or someone on site who can help our kids in health matters? That's not really necessary--right? I beg to differ. It really makes me MAD that every year teachers get cut, supply budgets get cut, and administrators get raises (or more administrators get added to the ranks). Do we REALLY need ALL of that fluff? And I don't necessarily mean the administrators at the school site, I'm talking about the Assistant Deputy Superintendent. Seriously? I didn't have an assistant deputy teacher..... (I didn't have an administrative assistant either.)

So, if you're unsatisfied, if you're concerned, OPEN YOUR MOUTH! First of all, exercise your voice with your vote--and then OPEN YOUR MOUTH! The people we elect WORK FOR US! Let them know what you think! It's not hard! You can Google your elected officials' contact information, and they all accept email. It doesn't take long. Many voices are more easily heard. But if you don't make your voice known, you don't really have the "right" to complain. So thanks, Honey, for reminding me.

Aren't our kids worth it?
WRITE A LETTER!

2 comments:

3WimmerBoys said...

Amen Maree, I know you understand all of this much too well. I only pray it will all work out, like it has in the past. Every year I get all bent out of shape about it, write all the letters I can, and so far it's always worked out. For some reason, I don't have as much faith this year. I will be writing my letters again this year and hope it works!

Annika said...

I loved your rant. I get so frustrated with the political landscape and gamesmanship that occurs in California. I'll write letters but my predominant efforts will go towards doing as much as I can in my own home to educate my children in case the system does an insufficient job in doing so.