Sunday, July 19, 2009

Some Like it HOT--NOT Us!

So, our a/c broke on Wednesday or Thursday. I called the property management dorks, and a work order got submitted on Friday--but you know how that goes. "We're booked solid. We can't get to you until Wednesday at the earliest." No amount of pleading or using asthmatics as an excuse seemed to do anything.

NORMALLY, this would not be much of a problem, but we're in the middle of a heat wave--with humidity! Not Florida-type humidity, but it's much hotter than normal for us.

Friday (Robert) was at scout camp still, we waited until the house was 89 and then we went and got haircuts and went out to dinner. By the time we returned, it was bearable in the house. Yesterday we went to friends' house in the afternoon and didn't get back until almost midnight, so again, it was bearable. Today is Sunday. So we don't go to the store or the beach or anything, and I really wasn't feeling great anyway. We all have had fans trained on us, so we've been comfortable enough--as long as we don't move. Our bedroom got up to 92 and the thermostat in the downstairs read 89. HOT!

I'm calling the a/c people at 8 tomorrow morning, hoping that some other person got desperate and paid major bucks to get their a/c fixed during the weekend and cancels--then we can get their spot for tomorrow. Aside from that, Toph, Hannah, and I have cub scout camp from 12-7 all week, so we won't be home during the hottest part of the day.

In an effort to maintain some gratitude over our situation, I keep reminding myself to be glad we live at a time when it's ok for women to wear shorts. I'm glad I live in a place that doesn't get as hot as Fresno. I'm glad I live where there's electricity, so we can at least run the fans. I'm glad we have friends who loaned us their hurricane fans. I found out that I have a friend on vacation who has offered to let us use her a/c while they're gone--and we'll take her up on that tomorrow if it's still this hot.

Right now, a cold shower sounds GREAT!

3 comments:

diane said...

You guys are welcome to come cool off in the pool anytime. Seriously. You can also come veg out in the house if you like. I hope it cools down this week. I don't do well in this heat. Even with a/c.

award said...

I hope it gets fixed SOON! Nothing sucks like 92 inside the house...what a bummer:-( Keep us posted. You know you would always be welcome in my home & my pool...it's just a bit further down the street!

3WimmerBoys said...

Oh it is way too hot for broken AC! I am glad you made it through this week, the boys had a blast. Can't wait to join you in Cubs!