Friday, August 7, 2009

Fibro Update

So, I went to see my fibro doctor yesterday, and it was GREAT! I was anxious because I wanted to see some progress, and I was nervous because I was afraid that he'd want to increase my meds--and I was unsure that I could survive that right now.

Well, the first thing is that I've lost a FEW pounds--nothing noteworthy. Then when he came in I asked if I'd ever feel energy again--and he hugged me and said that I'd have so much energy that people wouldn't recognize me. That was music to my ears. Then he did the body map and compared it to the one from the previous month. OHMYGOSH!!! I felt a tremendous relief! All of the lumps in my thighs were gone. All of the bumps along my clavicles were gone. I'd cleared many of my lumps and bumps. I was SO encouraged! He asked me if I'd had a good day yet--and I had had ONE. He asked what I did on my good day, and I said, "probably cleaned my house."

Dr. St. Amand cautioned me to pace myself. He said that I probably ended up doing too much on my good day and then spent most of the next 2 in bed--and he was right. I told him that our psychologist wanted me to start an exercise routine--but Dr. St. A said I wasn't quite ready for rigorous exercise just yet. And he didn't adjust my meds. He wants me to have some good days before we go to the next level of hell. I don't have to go back until November, and I'm excited. I'm excited because I know the guai is working. I'm excited because I know it's not going to get worse right now. And I'm excited because I know I'm going to get better. It's funny, the psychologist asked why I'd drive to Marina del Rey to see an endocrinologist when we have many excellent ones here. Why? Because he's lived with the disease for more than 50 years and can offer me HOPE. If we had local doctors who could do the same, I'd certainly see someone closer. But a 2-hour drive isn't that far, considering the patients before me that day were from Virginia, South Carolina, and AUSTRAILIA! I mean really! A 2-hour drive isn't THAT long--even in rush hour traffic!

There are so many things I want to be able to do! I want to go on bike rides with my family. I want to be able to work on the roses in my yard. I want to go on long walks. I want to be able to do all of my house cleaning chores in ONE day. And I'll be able to! Just like the FlyLady says, it's baby steps.

So, for now, I'm going to be happy to baby step my way to a more normal life. I'm going to look forward to more good days. I'm going to learn how to pace myself. I'm going to take my meds at a time that will allow me to wake up easier in the morning. I'm going to walk the kids to and from school as often as possible and take short walks with the family after dinner--baby steps. And I'm going to enjoy every second of every good day.

4 comments:

Crystal said...

Maree... you are so encouraging to me. It's comforting to know that someone else knows what I am going through. Your success gives me hope... thank you!

3WimmerBoys said...

Let's root for feeling better! It's a long road, but I know you are going to be feeling much better!

award said...

Hooray! Let's get better!!!

Jen said...

I am glad you are finally getting some results! I like the baby steps idea ;D