Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Things I NEVER Imagined I'd Hear.....


We were having a discussion about Hannah's clothing choices this morning, as we do EVERY morning of school, and she really didn't want to wear a skort (skirt/shorts combo) because some of the kids think that it's just a skirt and think she's showing her underwear.

Then I heard the words I never expected to hear my kids say: "Yeah Mom, we have a RULE at school that says you can't share your underwear."

Huh? I'm not sure I hear that right..... You can't SHARE your UNDERWEAR? Yeah, I heard it right. You need a RULE for this??

Yes, it means you can't show your panties to other people. So you can't just lift your dress up like this (Hannah demonstrates with her nightgown).

I see, because what, without the rule all the girls would just lift up their dresses and show off their panties?

Well, the boys can't share their underwear either.

At least the rule is fair. But seriously, what does this say about us as a society? We really NEED a rule to tell us not to show our panties to other people? I remember back in the old days before electricity was discovered when I went to school--after walking uphill in the snow for 5 miles without any shoes--that I lived in mortal fear of someone else seeing my panties, so I'd wear shorts under my dresses just in case. Now we need a rule.

Sometimes I wish the adults who wear the mini skirts or droopy drawers had the same rule.....

7 comments:

diane said...

Amen! It's because some parents allow their kids to go to school in skirts the size of a pot holder. Sad. Do boys still sag? My boys tried...no go.

Alicia said...

That's so funny!

Ritters said...

That is so funny! I haven't heard that rule from Zachary yet, but I am sure they have one at his school too.

grandpa halfdime said...

Well, back in the "Good Old Days" girls couldn't wear anything other than skirts to school. It might be that since that was the rule they were taught better than to hike their skirts/dresses up for boys...
Or it could be that because of "stars" like Madonna, et al, like to wear their underware on the outside of their clothes (or without clothes)...
Or, just maybe, because of people like Britany Spears (SP?) who forget to wear undies when in skirts shorter than the shorts were in the early 1960s that their parents are just happy that they have on panties when they "flash"...
Oh, and the skirts back then were considered too short if more than 2=inches above the knee.
Today's fashions are confusing to me, boys with their underware hanging out because they wear their pants lower than John Wayne used to wear his gun belt. And I saw a teen the other day (pointed her out to Jan) who had a skirt on that couldn't have had as much material as my bandana does; there was no way she could pick up anything she dropped without flashing her panties to the world--assuming that she had some on...
I agree, the rule seems a bit too much (understatement) but I'm sure it came about because some kid was sent home after her panties were flashed once too many times or whose "skirt" didn't cover them when she moved, sat, ran, etc. and an irate parent went balistic because there wasn't a written rule.

Christie said...

We needed that rule when I was in elementary school. We girls liked to line up on the chainlink fence and do handstands in our skirts. We especially liked it when truckers drove by and honked while we were doing it.

YIKES.

martha corinna said...

Seriously. I'm always having to hold myself back from pulling strangers pants up, this includes girls since it seems to be fashionable for them to display their thong peaking above hip slung jeans.

3WimmerBoys said...

I'd say that's a pretty good rule. Can we keep that one?