Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Cub Scouts at last!





Since Robert and I both work in scouts at Church (I'm with the cubs and Robert is with the boy scouts), both kids have to go with us each week (they meet at the same time). Toph LOVES to be around the scouts. In our Church, the boys automatically get to become cub scouts when they turn 8. (In fairness to the girls, there's a similar program for girls when they turn 8.)

Well, in our ward, the numbers in the 8-year-old class are small, and Toph was invited to start at the beginning of November--about 6 weeks early. Since I told him of this in September he's been asking me EVERY week if this is the week he gets to be a cub scout.

Last Wednesday was his day! I hadn't made it down to the scout shop to get his uniform, so he went in a "scout buddy" t-shirt. He got 2 beads! In his den, the boys are rewarded with different colored beads for being on time, good behavior, bringing their materials, bringing the snack, etc. He was ALL over my case about getting him a book THAT NIGHT, so he could show his teacher and get the other bead he missed. SO CUTE!

Tomorrow he'll be attending in full uniform (minus the patches I haven't sewn on yet) and he'll be taking his book. He's SO excited to begin this phase of his life. I hope that the feeling doesn't wear off. He was SO excited last week that he insisted on taking a picture with his den leaders--without having his uniform on. One of the leaders suggested waiting a week when they'd all be in uniform, but Toph wasn't having any of THAT! He said he'd just take pictures both weeks! Yeah, yeah, yeah.....I'll post the pictures when Robert does his "magic" and gets them off the camera and into the computer. This story needed telling NOW though.

I love my cub scout!

Oh, and to the folks who purchased popcorn, THANK YOU!!! You not only paid for cub scout camp this year, but you also paid for the uniform and book Toph needed! WA-HOO!

4 comments:

US... said...

That is so cute. He is going to be a great scout. Tell him Im proud of him and that I love em.

Laura Keith said...

Cub Scouts rock! Jonathan is totally into it too. It's fun when they are excited and want to do EVERYTHING! We read a story in the church news where a boy scout did ALL of the merit badges! Jonathan said he wants to do that too! What a goal. I told him he has to be an Eagle Scout before he can drive. We will see what happens...

diane said...

Exciting stuff!

I remember when my boys were cubs and now they are Eagles.

John Newman said...

Woo hoo! I bought scout popcorn! Oh, well. Okay. Not from your kids, but hey. I still bought scout popcorn. Kettle corn to be precise.

It was good.

Now it's gone.