Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The AWESOMENESS of Friends

I just have to say that I have experienced the awesomeness of friends--many times in my life and for a variety of reasons. This past Christmas was just one example: So we found out 6 days before Thanksgiving that we were going to have to move by January 22nd. No harsh feelings toward our home owners--we love them, and we knew that this could happen. And I doubt that moving is ever comes at a convenient time. THEY also are moving at this time of year (again), so they feel my pain too. But when I found out that we were going to move, I had several friends who put out their feelers and found me our new home--and several other potential homes. I have new neighbors who have given me all of their boxes and packing paper as they open their boxes (good timing for us both, no?). I have had at least a dozen people who have offered to either care for my kids or come help me box. It's really AWESOME!

But I think my all-time favorite service has been the awesomeness of having all of my Christmas gifts wrapped for me this past Christmas. How COOL is that? In our Church, we have something called the visiting teaching program. Each of the women who agree to participate are assigned other women to visit. You do this each month with a phone call, letter, or personal visit. We're supposed to include a spiritual message too. This helps us get to know each other better and it helps the Church leaders know what's going on--if you visit someone who's experiencing a difficulty, you report it to the appropriate leader, so that their burden can be lifted. The men have a similar program called home teaching, where they visit whole families each month. It's a little more formal, but it's basically the same idea. My visiting teacher happens to also be a friend--that's handy. She's asked me several times what she could do to help. She's offered to take the kids, box, clean, whatever. At this point in our move, I really didn't have any idea how she could help. I was overwhelmed with what I needed to do for my more immediate needs--Christmas and Toph's baptism (and our trip to Fresno for those activities). So as Sunshine continued to ask (NOT in a nagging way at all), I tried to think of something she could do. Then I got my Christmas shopping finished and realized that I didn't have a flat surface in my home.

Literally it looks like the Tasmanian Devil got loose in my house. Tables were piled up with homework, mail, projects I needed to finish for Christmas, goodies people have brought us, groceries (non-perishable) that need to be put away, etc. You have to have a flat surface to wrap presents. And it takes time--like HOURS. And I don't LIKE to do it in the first place. So I came to Sunshine with my suggestion for how she could help me out. NO PROBLEM she assured me! She and a friend invited all of the ladies they visit teach for a lunch one afternoon--that was the day I brought my presents over. After lunch, Sunshine, Melissa, and Heidi wrapped all of my presents--in 1 afternoon! When I was overflowing with gratitude (which I hope Sunshine knew), Sunshine told me that it was fun--it was like a party. I cannot say enough how grateful I was for that service. And the presents were prettier than they have EVER looked--I think at least one of the girls must have worked as a professional gift wrapper. I need to turn that chore into a party in the future! What a great idea!

Moving here was a real trial of my faith. I have NEVER lived away from my family, and I had awesome friends in Fresno. But I knew that this move would be beneficial for my family. I had a husband who needed to have a different job atmosphere. Since he's the wage earner for our home, he NEEDS to enjoy the place he spends most of his time. The opportunity to work here, with many people of similar geek callibur has been beyond wonderful. We have really been blessed with just that aspect of our move. But we have been so much more blessed. Our asthma problems have really backed off. Toph and I suffered in Fresno, and it got worse every year. We had 18 months of basically NO problems and have started to develop allergies to local things, but it's nowhere near as severe or often as before. We have found good doctors here to care for us--those doctors are very important when you have critical health issues. We were fortunate enough to move into a great neighborhood, school, and ward. That's pretty important too. The kids have adapted easily and have made good friends and have had amazing teachers. And I have made some FANTASTIC, AWESOME friends. I don't make friends that easily--LOTS of acquaintances, but true FRIENDS are harder to come by. It's especially hard with women, I think, because women tend to be clique-y. It's very difficult to insert yourself into a clique. It takes time. And while Robert was able to make friends quickly with people he works with--they are together a LOT--it's not so easy for the stay-at-home-Mom type who is naturally a bit reserved. But it has been good. Our family has grown closer, Robert and I have grown closer, and I think I appreciate my friends now more than I ever have before--the near AND far ones.

I feel very blessed to have a group of AWESOME people to call my friends. I am ever grateful for the service they freely give me--when I ask and when I don't ask. I know there are people I can count on to support me when I need it. And occasionally I get to help them too. I cannot say enough to properly express my gratitude to these people.

4 comments:

Tina said...

What a great thing, having your Christmas gifts wrapped! That was a gift that you gave to Sunshine because she wanted to help and you let her know what you really needed. Sometimes it is so hard to know how to help, and I love it when I can really do something that someone needs! I'm glad that your move here has been such a blessing!

Alicia said...

I totally know how you feel. It really is a great ward and they have great sisters in the ward. Melissa was my VT and she was always so attentive and helpful especially when I moved and had Hailey. I hope you're moving within the ward!? That would be a bummer if you weren't. LOVE those women!

Sunshine said...

Oh, I love you Maree! Glad you feel loved here, because you SO are!

Jen said...

I am so glad you got the help you needed. Our ward is so great that way!! I can't express how GLAD I am you are staying in the Ward :D