Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter, continued

I'm a little bit "off" lately. Can't exactly put my finger on it, but I think it might have something to do with the lack of "happy pills" in my medicine cupboard. Don't worry, I sent the Rx off in the mail today.....

Being a bit "off" and moving have totally destroyed my sense of holiday--no matter the holiday. Truth be told, I wasn't that "into" Halloween either (and that was before I knew we were moving). Consequently, because we were moving, there were no Christmas decorations this year. (Come on people! We were out of town for the week of Christmas and moving 2 weeks after that!) Somehow, illness perhaps, I missed Valentine's day. I got a nice table cloth and some window clings, but they never made it in time. I looked in the Easter boxes at 10 pm the night before, and so we did not have Easter decorations either. Might as well be fair to all of the holidays, right?

Sunday, after Church, I was just pooped. I didn't really have the energy to make the traditional Easter dinner, and the rest of the family had gorged on so much sugar they wouldn't have appreciated it anyway. So we postponed our Easter feast until tonight.

And you know you're going to do something good or maybe even *significant* if you have a LOT of trouble "getting there." Seems the kids had no interest in doing anything today except: tattling, whining, complaining, being disobedient, being distracted, and NOT doing what they were told. Need I say more? I had this really nice dinner planned, even with a meaningful discussion, and by the time Robert got home, I was ready to implode. Luckily, he was able to help me calm down enough that I think we had a good discussion around the table.

I borrowed an idea from a friend of mine, and we ate our nice Easter dinner in a completely dark home, save the light from 1 candle. Ok, it wasn't dark outside yet, but it was getting there. And we never eat by candle light, so the kids were wondering what was going on. This led us to a discussion about what happened after the crucifixion--the 3 days of darkness. We talked about how scary that must have been--and how long it must have seemed. We followed it up with our scripture reading tonight when we read a scriptural account of the 3 days of darkness. I think it went well. Now I just need to get my hind end in gear and do it ON TIME next year. I can't say that I feel TOO bad about dragging Easter out a little longer--it IS a great holiday!

No comments: