Tuesday, April 14, 2009

"I don't want to be a Mom when I grow up" (Hannah)


For about a year now, Hannah has been returning to the theme that she does not want to be a Mom when she grows up. Why? We discussed that again today. We were on the way to the Post Office when she made her announcement again, so I asked (again) why not? She told me that she didn't want to get her tummy cut open and didn't want a shot. That led us to the discussion (again) about how Mommy didn't get her tummy cut open and the shot didn't hurt that much.

So how DID the babies get out of Mommy then? Ugh, I knew we'd eventually get to THIS discussion! There's been a long-standing joke between Robert and me when I ask him to do something that goes like this:
R: What have you done for ME lately?
M: Pooped out 2 kids.
R: No, I mean LATELY?
M: Covers me for life....

I had to change my answer when the kids were old enough to pay attention and wonder what I meant by "pooped out 2 kids." But that's kind of the truth, right?

So I had to have the discussion about how babies come out of tummies if you don't get your tummy cut up. We talked about how it happens, complete with real anatomical words. And they wanted to know HOW it comes out..... Well, it's kind of like pushing out a poop, but not the same. You use different muscles. Toph, ever the expert, added that it was like going potty (because he has lots of experience....).

Ahh, you've gotta love them! I'm not sure if Hannah is more terrorized now or not. She asked if it hurt..... She's already FREAKED about getting a shot--should I tell her about the 9-foot long needle I had in my spine (thank goodness!) and how I felt like my body was being ripped in half? Nah, she's not ready for that yet! So I told her that it does hurt when you're pushing the baby out, but it doesn't last THAT long. After all, Hannah was out in THREE pushes!

I can 'fess up to today's sin of omission later, when she's ready for the truth. Have you had this experience with your youngsters yet? How did you handle it?

3 comments:

diane said...

Yeah, mine all got cut out. Frankly, I still can't wrap my brain around how it happens any other way.

Someday she will love that shot.

3WimmerBoys said...

I would let her think it's the most HORRIBLE thing on earth until she's at least 25. Keep them scared! Thanks for all your kind offerings this week, they really cheered Jacob up!

Jen said...

Kelsie doesn't want to have babies either. Hannah is too funny. I am with you on having babies covers us for life. Missed you at the park yesterday :(