Friday, December 12, 2008

I've HAD it!

The fighting, the bickering, the tattling, the hitting, the kicking, the crying, the whining, you name it, I've HAD it!!! I'm SO DONE!!!

Yesterday we reached a new low. The kids are still fighting over Hannah's love interest and our neighbor, John. It's as if he's a piece of property without his own free will. Beyond fighting over John, they're fighting with each other about EVERYTHING. And when they're not fighting, they're trying to make each other mad. It' a real party around our house.

So I snapped yesterday. Hannah was in time out for kicking her brother, and WHILE SHE WAS IN TIME OUT, she kicked him in the stomach. That landed her grounded to her room until Robert came home (so that there would be no blood shed). We talked about how inappropriate her behavior was and how that's not the way we treat the people we love, etc. When Robert got home, she got lecture part 2. But whilst Hannah was grounded to her room, the kids continued to fight and bug each other. That's when I snapped.



Now my kids are grounded to each other. With the exception of school hours, bathroom trips, and bathing, they are to be together at all times until at least Tuesday morning. That means when one does a chore, the other does it too. They must play together, clean together, eat together, and help each other. They will only get un-grounded when they can figure it out and learn how to live together. Apparently the threat of coal for Christmas isn't enough for them.

Furthermore, they've been given an assignment that they must complete together before they're ungrounded: They must write and illustrate a book together that's at least 8 pages long. This way they have to cooperate in some way.

This could either be a VERY long, tedious weekend, or it could be REALLY great. They used to play very nicely together. We've always told Toph/Hannah that Hannah/Toph is the best friend he/she'll ever have. Some would say that it's brainwashing, but I prefer to look at it as a self-fulfilling prophecy. I'm looking forward to the restoration of friendship. Even as I write this they are talking mean toward each other as they fight about what to play.

Wish me luck, send me Xanax, I don't know what to expect. I DO have to give credit where credit is due though. My sister, Aimee, has employed the grounded to each other tactic before, and I got the book idea from watching Supernanny. Calgon, take me away!

6 comments:

diane said...

I used to have my kids write kind notes to each other and compliment each other as discipline for sibling abuse. At times the only thing my boys would say to their sister was "I like your sleeves." A line they stole from a certain movie.

Good luck. I hope it works.

Jen said...

What a great idea...I am going to have to remember these great tips. Hang in there :D

Laura Keith said...

I hope you aren't grounding yourself in the process. That's how I feel if I ground the kids from playing outside or watching TV... whatever it may be. But the idea really does intrigue me... you need to keep me posted. I want to know if I should try this sometime too.

Doreene said...

I wish you luck. Your trip up here will be delightful if they're not "friends" by then.

Ritters said...

Good luck let me know if it works. My boys I guess are not worried about coal either especially since they had to ask me what it is? Last week I has a bad week too. This week seems better. I hope all going well this weekend.

award said...

FABULOUS! Love it!