Friday, December 19, 2008

Happy Birthday, Topher!




















My oldest baby is eight! I can't believe it! Seems like just yesterday I got to meet him for the first time. I marveled at the tiny, perfect bundle of joy. I looked for hours on end at him and contemplated the miracle of life. I coveted his eyelashes--still do sometimes. We'd waited so long for our miracle, and one look at Toph and it was worth all of the waiting.

Toph was a great baby right from the start. He started sleeping through the night at 2 weeks--no lie! He was a happy guy and very mellow. That really hasn't changed. Toph loved to be cuddled and held, and we rocked him to sleep every night for at least 2 years. Robert would race Toph to sleep whenever he'd hold Toph--that warm cuddle lump just makes you relax.

Toph has an amazing smile that just lights up the world. He loves other people and is very concerned for everyone. He's got great tenacity and works hard to be good at things. Toph is inquisitive. This has been the case from a young age. As a 2-year-old, he'd take apart the recliner handle at his Givens Grandparents' home. He loves to see how things work.

In school, Toph loves science and math. He also loves recess. He's a hard worker, and a joy to his teachers. He loves to help others too.

Toph has just started cub scouts and LOVES going! He's been observing the scouts for years, and he was elated that his cub leaders asked him to start a month before his birthday. He's anxious to do all of his requirements in his Wolf book--I hope this enthusiasm sticks around through the Eagle project.

Toph is an amazing son. His love for people is a great example to us. He still loves to cuddle, and I hope that never changes. His empathy and compassion for others is moving. He is so sensitive to others' feelings and needs. His heart must be 10 times larger than other kids of his size. He's a great example to us of doing what's right too. Toph is a great big brother. He (usually) loves his sister and encourages her in all that she does. He's thoughtful and caring in his dealings with everyone. He's got a spiritual side and strives to do what's right. Toph is very excited to be getting baptized soon.

Some of his favorite things:
Color: blue or red
Thing: technology
TV: My Life as a Teen-Age Robot
Video Games: Lego Batman, Little Big Planet, Warhawk
Dinner: Mom's parmesan chicken
Dessert: butterscotch anything
On his Christmas list: Nintendo DS
Thing to do (besides video games): Hunt for "magnetite" with a magnet in the sand and building things.

Quotable: Earlier this week, Toph was talking to me after school, "Mom, you know I LOVE Technology. I love to see how things work and how they're made and I love to build things. I like science, and science is pretty much all technology."

Toph, you've enriched our lives in countless ways. I can't fathom life without you. I'm so blessed to be able to call you my son. I love you, Buddy! Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

I love Topher so much! He is a joy to talk to and such a love bug. He really makes me smile everytime i see him :) Auntie Heidi loves him lots!

Doreene said...

What a glorious idea posting all these amazing pictures of Toph. Not only is he adorble, he is growing in to such a great young man.

lisa said...

your blog made me cry! toph is so lucky to have you as his mama! happy bday toph!