Wednesday, December 10, 2008

SICK at Heart......




When I kiss my husband good-bye in the mornings, I fully expect to see him again after work. I'm sure the same could be said for the man who lost his entire family just 2 days ago when a fighter jet crashed into his home, killing his wife, 2 young daughters, and his mother-in-law.

The plane experienced catastrophic engine failures, and witnesses said it was in a spin. The pilot ejected safely, and the plane missed a high school just a couple of blocks away. THAT is truly remarkable.

We who live in San Diego hear the jets all the time. They fly overhead several times each day as they practice. This is the price that we, the civilians who benefit from the hard work of our military forces, must pay occasionally. Thankfully, it doesn't happen very often. I'm sure that those words won't bring Mr. Yoon much comfort though. He is a remarkable man--and I've never met him. This is what he had to say at a news conference: "Please pray for him [the pilot] not to suffer from this accident," Yoon said. "I know he's one of our treasures, for the country, and I ... don't blame him. I don't have any hard feelings. I know he did everything he could."

My heart breaks for this man I've never met. It makes me sick to think that, especially at this time of year, he has to suffer such a tragedy. My heart and prayers go out to him. This makes my own problems seem so small.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

The first thing Brent said when he heard about the crash was that the pilot would probably wonder each day for the rest of his life what he could have done differently so that those civilians weren't killed.
Like you, I don't wonder about what the mechanical failure was, or how much the jet cost, or things like that. I simply wonder how Mr. Yoon is getting through each day.
I'm praying for him & it certainly does put everything into perspective.

Laura Keith said...

Thanks for blogging about this accident. I heard about the plane going down... my first thoughts were with the family who suffered such a great loss. I didn't know that the man who lost his family in the crash was so forgiving and concerned about the pilot. Truly a remarkable man.

diane said...

He is amazing. I've been praying for him and the pilot.

The crash site is three blocks away from my sister-in-law's house.

3WimmerBoys said...

It's so true! It's too bad that sad things have to happen to knock us into a reality of gratefulness. Sometimes we get caught up in stupid little poor me attitudes, then something like this happens, and we feel grateful again.

Jen said...

So sad...I read that they had just moved into the house a month ago.