Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Favorites

Having been my paternal Grandma's favorite grandchild, I can say that having family favorites is not always a good thing. It breeds resentment and hard feelings among the non-favored ones. Often the favored child hasn't really done anything to earn "most favored" status either.

Well, I haven't wanted to have favorites in my home, and I'm really lucky to have ONLY 2 kids--and a boy and girl at that. Because I can say, with perfect honesty and without hurting anyone else's feelings: "You're my favorite boy/girl."

I've been doing this since the day I got married. Robert's my favorite husband. Doesn't matter that I don't have any other husbands. He's my favorite, and he will be forever. Toph's my favorite son (or boy) on the planet. Hannah's my favorite girl (or daughter) on the planet. Saying this to my kids gives them a good feeling. Guess what they tell me in return? "You're my favorite Mom." I'm so lucky!

My Favorite Boy on the planet!


My Favorite Girl on the planet.


My Favorite Husband.

7 comments:

Jen said...

I love that you posted your wedding picture. So pretty! I also like the picture of Hannah especially given the fact that she is wearing her High School Musical shirt. She is years beyond her age!

Alicia said...

You are my favorite Maree! :) It was fun talking to you at the park today!

Heidi said...

give tnhose kids a kiss from me-love ya guys

Sunshine said...

What a great wedding photo! I'm with Alicia - you are my favorite Maree!

Harper Family said...

I love your wedding picture. You look beautiful --of course-- and what a lovely bouquet of flowers. I'm also in agreeance (gosh is that a word--it should be) with you on the favoritism issue.

Maree said...

Tammy, the flowers are FAKE!!! Our reception was 11 days post-wedding, and I wanted the same flowers. We used it as a decoration long after the wedding, and gave it up when we moved--by then, 8 years of sun and dust had taken it's toll. Thanks!!

lisa said...

hey, you look just the same as 10 years ago!! congrats on that :) i am totally bummed that i can't use the "favorite" think, i have 2 boys, 2 peters.