Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Easter--sort of

Well, honestly, I just COULD NOT get "into" Easter this year. It was too stinking early. It didn't even dawn on me that Easter was coming up until it was almost too late. I only put up ONE decoration (I have 2 fairly large boxes of nice ones). We didn't dye eggs until tonight (Tuesday). We don't hide them--just eat them--so there was no rush to do it on the weekend.

We DID have the Easter Bunny hide the plastic eggs with candy in them. I can't make myself have the EB hide the real eggs--grosses me out. Besides, what if you missed one? Yuck! The kids DID have something new to wear to Church. Toph gets a new tie each year, and Hannah gets a dress. She almost didn't get the dress though--since we didn't go shopping until Good Friday. I bought Hannah's Easter present (Barbie dolls) on clearance right after Christmas, and I knew what I was getting for Toph--I just needed to make time to shop WITHOUT my little helper, because she can't keep a secret--not ever.

We got to attend Church--2 weeks in a row! Toph read us the story of Easter--two days in a row. We'll do the 12-Eggs-of-Easter sometime this week. The kids really look forward to that, so it will be fun to do this year. Toph can read his own eggs this time.

As for pomp and circumstance, we got to witness the frenzy of finding eggs in the morning and then rush to get ready to go to Church. In the afternoon, we got to remind and remind that we don't just gorge on the Easter candy. It doesn't have to be consumed all at once! We ate nothing special at all--besides candy. Robert's Mom is coming down next month, to watch the kids while we go celebrate our 10th anniversary--we'll have a nice dinner when she's here. Since it felt like Easter was too early, I'll leave my ONE decoration up, and we'll have Easter again in April--when Easter OUGHT to be.

Easter is April 12th next year--we'll do a better job of it in 2009. As long as there's candy, the kids don't really care at all; just Mom.

3 comments:

Christin said...

I'm with you on this one. I got Chase a tie and he wore it, but we didn't take a picture. I didn't have time to buy Ryan or me anything new to wear. I did get a toy for Chase and some candy for Ryan and I, but other than the baskets there were no decorations. I saw everyone else's cute Easter pictures and I feel totally guilty. Luckily Chase won't remember it. I promise to do better next year. What's the next big holiday? I better start planning now.

lisa said...

i didn't decorate, i don't have anything for easter. we did about the same amount of stuff as you, so you're doing pretty well!! happy late easter!!

Sunshine said...

I agree...Easter was too early this year...it has really thrown me for a loop!