Saturday, March 22, 2008

TRADITIONS.....

Moving away from family has given us the opportunity to create our OWN traditions. We'll keep some of the old traditions that we have always had and loved, but now we get to start our own. So far we're not changing much.

Easter is kind of a nebulous holiday for our home. Next year I think we'll change things up a bit. We're going to ask the Easter Bunny to come hide Easter eggs on Saturday. I am borrowing that idea from some of my friends. It seems a good plan to separate the secular Easter from the Spiritual reasons for Easter--easier for younger kids to "get" that there IS a difference.

We have a 12-Eggs-Of-Easter activity we made up a few years ago. It has 12 plastic eggs in it. Inside of each egg there's a symbol of Easter (red cloth, bitter herbs, 30 cents, cross, nails, etc.) and a scripture for each of the symbols. THAT'S what I want to focus on for Easter Sunday--not the greed of who finds more eggs and who can get sick on candy first--the frenzy.

I'm also glad that Easter is always on a Sunday. It just seems appropriate to go to Church and worship on such a special day--I wish Christmas was always on a Sunday too.

Anyway, that's what I've been thinking about lately--making our own, personal traditions. If I thought about it in advance, we could really implement them the same year..... what a thought!

What's next..... Mother's Day, Memorial Day, Father's Day, Fourth of July..........

PS: I changed the layout of my blog--looks more like Easter candy to me.

2 comments:

Jen said...

I love what you have done with the place! I also find it hard to help my kids focus on the real meaning of Easter. It seems that they are so caught up in the candy and egg aspect it is hard to steer them the other direction.

lisa said...

i love having my space from family. and i am so excited start my own traditions!!