Friday, July 4, 2008

4th FLOP!


So Happy Birthday America!!

We have had a low key day--relaxing, movies, and BBQ for dinner. I got to go on errands today ALONE--thanks Robert! That's a real treat. I've hated my cell phone almost since I got it, and I decided it was time to go LOOK and TOUCH new phones. I wanted one that had a KEYBOARD, so I could text with Robert easier. I also wanted one that would sync with my computer to transfer my calendar and my address book. No sense putting it all into the phone twice! I wasn't due for a new phone yet--not until February (which is a LONG time to wait if you hate your phone). BUT Robert WAS due for a new phone. Since he loves his phone, they let me get a new one instead--for a $20 fee, of course. LOVE the new phone. I also got to go to Borders and the grocery by myself!

I got some nice steak in preparation for our BBQ. Made some lovely roasted potatoes and garlic green beans to go with it. MMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......... Heaven for the tummy!

As I was putting away the groceries, Toph told me that he had a sore throat. It was a LITTLE bit red, and he has a 99.3 "fever." I told him to drink something and relax. He got to the dinner table (NOT food he hates) and said that he felt like he was going to throw up. So I spent 10 minutes in the bathroom rubbing his back while he tried to make his offering--no dice. Robert was the back rubber on two other occasions. Still no dice. I decided to go to the grocery AGAIN and get the "flu favorites:" COKE (regular, with sugar) for it's stomach calming effects, ginger ale (same), and peppermint hard candies (same). I'm not making it up about the Coke, either. Once Toph was SICK, and we took him to urgent care and got a $200 Coke. The doc there told us that there's something in the Coke formula that helps with nausea--so give 1-2 ounces every hour. It seems to help.

Hannah has a new habit--she LOVES to copy her brother--in ALL things. So she said that her throat hurts. Without tonsils, I can't tell. She also had a 99 "fever." Then she said that she felt like she was going to throw up. I explained to her that she could stop eating, but if she changed her mind later and decided that her tummy didn't hurt and that she WAS hungry, it would be the same food--just in case she was trying to get a different dinner.

So, instead of going to watch fireworks, we're going to sit in the family room, both kids' heads in "puke pots," and maybe we'll find some fireworks on TV to watch. That's kind of a bummer, because although the kids HATE fireworks that you set off in the street, they LOVE the kind in the air. There's always next year!

But what does this mean for the DATE that Robert and I have planned tomorrow (our first since our anniversary in April) AND what does this mean for our vacation plans??? Let's get the barf party started, if that's what we're going to do--so we can move on with our lives!!

In spite of it all, Happy 4th! I LOVE living in this country! I LOVE our freedom! I LOVE the people who so selflessly give to help defend our country! Thanks!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

My poor kiddos! You all need to feel better soon, so u can come to the hottest week in Fresno so far (110 on wednesday). Can't wait!

Laura Keith said...

fun 4th, huh?! hope you enjoy fresno... I think it is actually going to be hotter here than there. and the smoke is TERRIBLE!!! call me soon.

Sunshine said...

What a bummer. Hope the kids are feeling better and that you didn't get it!

Harper Family said...

Gosh, sickness always comes at the wrong time. We were in Reno over the 4th and luckily we were all healthy!!

Sunshine said...

So sorry you were sick for the festivities! Hope you are doing better! No wonder you were able to polish off that book so fast!

Maree said...

Update (in case any of you look for them): No, I did NOT get it! No, the kids NEVER threw up! All was better by noon the next day--perhaps just dehydrated. Toph later told me that he had an AWFUL headache--those can make you nauseous. Who knows? And Sunshine, I would have polished off that book fast anyway. I read instead of sleeping! It was GREAT! And I finished it DAYS before Robert gave it back to you. Thanks for the loan!