Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Fresno Vacation--pictures will follow

So, we (the kids and I) planned to go to Fresno for our vacation this year. The economy isn't in the best shape. We don't have tons of money to burn. And we LIVE at vacation. So we decided to go back to the old homestead and VISIT. Our last 3 visits to Fresno have been purpose-driven, and we haven't had a chance to see our friends and PLAY as much as we'd like.

We left on a Sunday and stayed with Grandma D (Robert's Mom). She misses us so much, and this was a chance for us to spend more than 3 hours with Grandma. We had a nice visit and updated the toys we keep at her home. Now the kids want to go back and play with the toys we bought.

Monday morning I had a chiropractor visit with Dr. J. I've been seeing his dad, Doc, for more than 20 years. But, once, Doc wasn't available--and Dr. J was. Dr. J has a technique he can do on my foot to make it feel better and Doc doesn't know how to do that--I know, more information than anyone else cares about. It was NICE to have my body all put back together again. The kids enjoyed the foot torture--and I enjoy how it feels afterward. Then we were off to Corbin's house. Corbin was born 17 days before Toph, and they were the BEST of friends when we all lived in Fresno. Corbin's family lived a couple of blocks from us and our families did lots together. Corbin moved to Clovis the year before Toph started school, and he's one of the people Toph mentions first when I ask who the kids want to visit. We played and swam and had lunch and got introduced to FLAVORED RAISINS. WOW, what a treat! I had to DRAG the kids away because we'd promised the cousins that we'd be there around 2. Then we went to Aimee's (my sister) and saw and played with the cousins. We joined the "camping gang" (Matt's family and some friends who'd been camping the previous week) for a BBQ/Swimming Family Home Evening, so we could watch the movie Matt made about the camping adventure.

Tuesday was the day we had NOTHING on the calendar. I need a day without any requirements and appointments to just catch my breath and be spontaneous. I spontaneously did nothing that day. We didn't go anywhere and didn't see anyone except relatives. It was GREAT! More swimming for the kids. By the way, have I mentioned how FANTASTIC my brother-in-law is? He watched the kids at the pool for me for HOURS!!! I stayed inside and scrapbooked with my sister. That doesn't sound too bad, unless you consider that it was 110-112 for 3 of the days we were there--and Matt was OUTSIDE with the kids! He's awesome! I couldn't ask for a better guy for my sister.

Wednesday we went to part of the old 'hood and visited some friends, one of Toph's first crushes. We saw the Kraus kids and had a nice visit. My kids mostly followed Jarom around and watched what he was doing. No fighting or complaining though, so that's good. Then we went to Chevy's to meet Junell for lunch. Junell is a good friend--"adopted" family. She's amazing! We had a great visit and a good lunch. Hannah was especially thankful, because we've got Chevy's here, but we won't go here. Our Chevy's sucks--the service is mediocre at best. So we drive 300+ miles to go to eat at Chevy's. Go figure. Took lots of pictures of one another and laughed a lot. Good times. Then it was back to Aimee's for MORE swimming. I think that's the day the "camping women" went for pedicures. I got to go along too, and I treated myself to a manicure too. I was in HEAVEN! That was only the second time in my life I'd had a pedicure, and I hadn't had a manicure since I got married--it was time! After dinner, Aimee and I took some food over to my Grandpa, and since he was at my Aunt's, we got to see their family briefly too.

Thursday my friend, Alicia, came over to Aimee's with her 3 little ones. It was 112 Thursday, and beyond MISERABLE! It was quite humid for Fresno, and the air quality was beyond bad, so we did as little as possible. After lunch, Matt took the kids swimming again while Aimee and I scrapbooked again. In the heat of the day, I went to WinCo (a cheaper prices, bag your own groceries store that we DON'T have here and I MISS) and I got to play "stock up." Groceries here are really expensive, so whenever possible, I stock up on things I know I'll use when I go to Fresno. My kids are WAY into graham crackers right now, and Toph has been eating them for breakfast every day. At Vons, not on sale, a box of graham crackers is $3+ but at WinCo, a box is only $1.18. I got 24 boxes--wasn't sure how they were all going to fit in the car, but I saved a LOT of money! My local sibs came over for a dinner that evening, and it was SO good to see all of them. My littlest nephew is growing so big and my sister-in-law finally looks pregnant (due in late September). WAY fun times.

Friday the kids and I went to lunch with my Grandpa. He took all the kids out to dinner to celebrate my Grandma's birthday, and when I called him that day, he told me we'd have to go out the next time I was in town. We met at Mimi's, which was one of Gram's favorite places to eat, and we had a nice lunch. Toph cracked me up. He was adamant that he was going to choose the CHEAPEST thing on the menu, so it wouldn't cost so much for lunch. It reminded me of a time last year when Toph decided that he'd quit school and run a lemonade stand, so he could earn some money for our family. I LOVE that guy! More swimming in the afternoon--thanks to whatever adult was with them, because I was scrapping with Aimee. Auntie Cody came over for part of the afternoon to scrap with us. Then we went to Sweet Tomatoes (same as Souplantation) with Aimee's family and Auntie Heidi. We LOVE to eat there! As we were looking for where the Farmer's Market was, we passed the cemetery where my Gram is buried. Toph popped up with the idea that he wanted to take roses to Gram's grave. I promised him that we'd do that the next day, after we visited with my Aunt. Friday evening we enjoyed the Farmer's Market and bought 20 lbs. of flavored raisins. They have a 2-year shelf life, but they won't last that long.

Saturday was our last in Fresno, and we didn't have too much planned in stone. We were going to play with cousins and the grown-ups were going on a date in the evening. Auntie Heidi came over for a few hours. Uncle Matt took the kids to McDonald's for lunch, so the mommies could scrap some more--and I FINISHED SOMETHING!!!!! I've been working on a family scrap book, so my kids can see pictures of the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. I finished the pages I have photos for--a few more families to do pages for, but I need pictures first. It felt SO good to finish something! Auntie Cody (my sis-in-law) joined us again, and showed us her fun toy, the Cricut. Now I want one! It's WAY cool. I was supposed to take my kids to visit with my Aunt and her family, but something happened and we didn't get to see them. Uncle Matt took the kids to see Journey to the Center of the Earth instead. So Toph wasn't able to take flowers to Gram's grave, and he was NOT HAPPY about that when he realized we weren't going to do that on this trip (but we WILL in December!). Then Cousin Janice came over with her husband, Jeremy, to babysit for us while we went on our date. Aimee, Matt, and I met my other Cousin, Daniel, and his wife, Kham, at a nice steak place--Cool Hand Luke's. We had a fabulous dinner and a nice visit. After having the kids WITH me for so long (even though Uncle Matt took them for HOURS at the pool), it was NICE to be away for a few hours. But after dinner something very unhappy happened in my stomach, and I spent the rest of the night......indisposed, to say the least! NOT exactly the way I'd have chosen to spend my last night of vacation!

Sunday I had to do all the stuff I was planning on doing Saturday night, and pack up my car--I WAS able to cram it all in--even 24 boxes of graham crackers! We started our journey home about an hour later than I'd planned, which wasn't too bad considering I hadn't packed anything the night before. The drive home was MUCH less intense than the drive up to Fresno (several accidents and slow downs on the way to Fresno). We traveled a different route this time, so I had some variety. The kids did pretty well on the ride home, but neither napped. It was GREAT to be home though. As much as I enjoyed my time in Fresno and I REALLY did, there was so much joy coursing through me when I rounded a bend in the freeway and saw the ocean and knew I was close to HOME. We missed Robert dearly and were anxious to hug and kiss him and sleep in our own beds again.

So to the Ward family, THANK YOU TIMES A MILLION for letting us stay with you and for playing with us. We had such a good time and we miss all of our Fresno family and friends. It was WONDERFUL to get to spend some non-rushed time with all of you, and under good circumstances. But we were glad to get home again too. It feels good to re-establish some of our routines again. And after only 21 months, THIS is HOME now.

So, when you live at vacation, where do you go ON vacation? For us, Fresno. We'll do it again in the future too.

3 comments:

award said...

Where are the pics??? We had a great time, too. Thanks for staying with us!

Robert Givens said...

Sounds like you had fun. You needed our Alaska weather though! Miss ya, Mom and Dad

Christin said...

Wow! Sounds fun! I didn't realize you were such a scrapper. Maybe we should start a group. I have a Cricut and sharing it eases my guilt.