Monday, July 28, 2008

Bumps in the road

I've been contemplating the "bumps" we find in life's road. Just about always they turn out to benefit us in some way. We learn something or stretch our abilities and grow. If nothing else they build character.

Today was a bumpy day. Robert's car wouldn't start, so he took mine. I called AAA and got the battery jumped--it was SO BEYOND dead. Then I called AAA to come replace the battery (remember, it was beyond dead). I didn't even know AAA did that! It' was a little more expensive than going someplace like Sears, but they came to ME. Worth it! The guy working on the battery couldn't get the cable off the terminal though--battery acid had basically melted it. He worked for more than an hour! I thought I was going to have to get my car with brand new battery towed! The AAA guy rigged it so that I could drive it, but I wanted to have it looked at. My friend, Jen, met me at the dealership, to give me a ride home. As we were getting out of Jen's car when she brought us home, Hannah ACCIDENTALLY slammed Toph's head with the car door. OUCH! He's got a nice goose egg, but he's got a big rock head, so he'll live. Our car is being checked over, lubed and oiled, and having the seat belts replaced--another bump in our road.

While we were living in the Homeless Shelter (corporate housing our first 3 months here), a mouse found its way into our car. YIKES! I would have nothing to do with it once I knew that! We parked it for a week when we were out of town and put mouse poison in it. When we returned, the poison was all gone, but there was no dead mouse smell--so I was NOT driving that "MOUSE MOBILE." A few days later the smell came, so I REALLY wasn't driving the Mouse Mobile. Robert looked and looked and couldn't find the smelly source. He's been driving that car ever since (more proof that he LOVES me!). We borrowed my Aunt's ozone machine almost a year ago, and that helped with the smell. But while the mouse was living in our car, it ate several seat belts! Not something you can just walk into AutoZone and replace.

So today's bumpy road is helping me remedy a previous bump--all bumps end up benefiting us in some way, right? Thanks Jen for coming to my rescue! You're a great friend! Thanks Honey for driving the stinky car because you love me! I love you too!

2 comments:

lisa said...

ahh, that is why you call your car mousey!! i get it!!

Jen said...

I am glad to hear that Toph's noggin is alright. I was hoping that it sounded worse than it was. All my kids commented on how loud it was and how bad Toph's head had to feel. Poor guy. Big rock heads are sometimes good to have :D