Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Demons among us

Demons have swooped in while we were sleeping and replaced my sweet daughter.

It looks like Hannah and sounds like Hannah, but it's a demon.

This demon has a bad case of Universe Revolving Around Me-itis. So it can't be my SWEET daughter.

This demon is unable to do the most basic of tasks--brush teeth, get dressed, clean room, eat a meal--without melting down.

I wanted to take the kids and do something fun for spring break, but with the demons among us, I'm not sure I can. I'm VERY torn between wanting to give them something fun to do and my desire to NOT reward bad behavior. On the one hand, part of the problem may be boredom. On the other hand, what message would I send if I say, "yes, I realize you said "I hate y0u" repeatedly today and were grounded until you got your room clean--which it still isn't--but we'll go to Disneyland tomorrow."

Sometimes being the parent is hard.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I feel your pain!!

Heidi said...

I know hannah can be a hand full, take a deep breath and count to ten.

lisa said...

ooh, dilema. what did you do?

diane said...

I love your blog you crack me up. It's fun to get to know you! I've done my share of "taming of the shrew." Good luck...wish I could say it gets easier!

Maree said...

What did we do? Talked to Toph and explained that it was HIS break and HE deserved to do something fun. Let him choose 2 activities he wanted to do, and Hannah earned them with good behavior--barely! I would have hired a babysitter or sent Robert to do it on Saturday without her. He chose Chuck E. Cheese and Legoland.

Maree said...

Diane, PLEASE don't tell me that! I was hoping that it would get BETTER--at least until she turns 12 and loses her mind. I used to teach middle school, so I'm familiar with that teen rite of passage. UGH!!!