Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Merry Christmas, Maree!

My Honey did a GREAT job Christmas shopping last year. The present he chose for me is so PERFECT for me. I'm a read-a-holic, so I'm always reading something. Our home is simply bursting with books, because both of us love to read. We even have boxes of books still unpacked in the garage. This Sony (of course) reader will hold hundreds, if not thousands of books--and if I need more room, I have only to purchase another SD card. They take up a ton less room than the actual books do.

I unwrapped my perfect gift and played with it a little bit, and I showed my book to anyone who would look at it. You'd have thought I'd had another baby! :-) This reads just like a regular book. You can bookmark pages and even read several books at the same time. Books purchased for digital readers are usually about half price too (or less)--so that's good for our budget. Honestly, it's one of the coolest inventions since sliced bread!

In January, I went to a book club meeting, and I took my book to show to everyone. I opened up the cover, and to my HORROR, the reader fell out of the cover and onto the tile floor. That was the end of the reader. Thank goodness Robert had purchased an extended warranty! Then life got a little bit crazy at our house, with my Grandma dying, funeral trip, flu more than once for everyone. I didn't get it sent back in right away. Sony wasn't willing to replace my reader either--let me tell you, I was hot and bothered after THAT conversation! Robert paid less than the going price now, so they were only willing to refund what Robert had paid for it. I was upset, because that meant that replacing my reader was going to be more costly.

In the end, it all worked out. I'm not sure if it was on sale when we re-purchased it, or if it was Robert's employee price, but I got my new reader YESTERDAY! It's engraved, just like the first one, "Forever My Sweetheart." What a great present! Robert bought the "deluxe cover" and an a/c power adapter too, so I'm good to go!

Now I just need to learn how to use the thing! I'm excited to load it up with books and take it with me always. You can visit the Gutenberg Project and download thousands of books for FREE by going to: http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page
Books from Gutenberg will work on a PDA or home computer too--not just for those of us lucky enough to have a book reader.

What a marvelous age we live in! Think of all of the wonderful inventions we've got that make our lives easier and richer. I love the benefits of modern technology.

I'm so thankful for my sweet Husband and the choice he made to give me the BEST Christmas present, EVER! Honey, I'm not sure you'll ever be able to top this! I'm glad to have it back, and I'm excited to start using my new reader--and I'm going to make sure it doesn't pop out of the cover! :-)

2 comments:

Jen said...

I am in agreement that this is a pretty spectacular invention and gift!

lisa said...

hmm, i may have to look into that, my bday is comming up and peter never gives good presents.