Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Kindergarten readiness.....this part SUCKED!

Sorry, Grandma! I know you really didn't like the word SUCK, but it was very appropriate for today's adventure.

Hannah needed the last few shots in order to attend Kindergarten, and registration is just around the corner. I made her appointment for a physical WAY back when, and missed the deadline by a week. So we went today for a nurse appointment JUST for the shots.

I warned Hannah about this yesterday, so it wouldn't be a complete surprise. We talked about how shots are (usually) FAST, and it's a poke, but then it's over. I explained that we have to have the shots, because they protect us from getting germs that can make us really sick or even kill us. I'm not sure that helped though.

I was expecting three shots, but it was FIVE!!! Four shots and the TB test, so FIVE pokes. The nurse wasn't quick about any of them either. When my mom would give me shots, she'd pinch hard (to distract) and shoot fast--my preferred method of shooting. This nurse did not pinch at all and seemed to take her time. I'm not sure if that's because that's how these injections need to be administered or what. All I can say is that Hannah was not the only person in the room with teary eyes. It SUCKED!

Then I made the mistake of looking at the needle. I know I exaggerate sometimes, but I SWEAR that one of the needles was 3 INCHES long--no lie! What possible reason would there be to have a needle that long?!

Hannah was a very brave girl. She did cry--but she was allowed to cry. It hurt! She was a real trooper, and it didn't hurt that Mom felt guilty enough to add a TOY bandage to go along with the bribe lunch previously promised.

So Hannah made out like a bandit, and now she doesn't really need to dread the physical next month. The hard part is over! Hannah is now looking forward to holding Mommy's hand for the 2nd hepatitis shot I still need.

This really SUCKED though.

Kindergarten, here she comes!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

please give hannah I big hug from me, I'm so happy she's such a strong girl. I don't mind shots so I can't empathize but I can't wait till she goes to kindergarten. I know you can't wait either!