Monday, April 21, 2008

For the FREAKIN' birds....

Ok, so I thought that birds, as a rule, went to sleep when it got dark. At least, I thought that the awake ones were too busy trying to eat than singing. About a month ago, we had the chatter and chirping of a complete congregation of nocturnal nightingales. Then it went away, and now it's BACK!

ALL night long these birds chirp and sing and the racket is LOUD! By the time I drag myself upstairs, all I want to do is sleep--NOT listen to the stinking birds! Don't those peabrains know it's NIGHTTIME? I'm beginning to wonder if their nocturnal singing is a function of the cycle of the moon?

From Wickipedia: "Scientists hypothesize that bird song has evolved through sexual selection, and experiments suggest that the quality of bird song may be a good indicator of fitness.[6] Experiments also suggest that parasites and diseases may directly affect song characteristics such as song rate, which thereby act as reliable indicators of health.[7][8] The song repertoire also appears to indicate fitness in some species.[9][10] The ability of male birds to hold and advertise territories using song also demonstrates their fitness."

All I can say is, those birds must be FIT and HEALTHY, because they're LOUD and unrelenting--not to mention obnoxious! It seems as if the entire gaggle is housed right under my bedroom window. Now, with Robert gone for a few days, I'm going to hear them all the better.

I'd better dust off the CD of the ocean noises!

No comments: