Sunday, October 12, 2008

Eerie....


So, I'm making lunch for the monkeys after Church, and I smell smoke.

Just a year ago, on another Sunday, I smelled smoke. It was the horrible Witch fire that drove us from our home, not knowing if we'd still have a home to come home to. This is a little bit eerie. Unlike the Witch fire, when we stand outside to look around, there is no big plume of smoke. The skies are clear and blue--a shade only seen in San Diego.

Yet, as I sit here and type on the computer, the smell of smoke fills my home and makes my eyes burn. It's all too much like Deja Vu. It hasn't yet been a year.

I sure hope it's just some crazy person using the fireplace! It's windy again today, just like it was that Sunday a year ago. One spark, and we'd all be goners. With all of the dry brush and weeds around, it wouldn't take much to have an instant replay of last year. I'm not excited about that. It wasn't fun--I'm sure the people who actually lost houses would agree with me.

For the rest of my life, I think I will always have a panic-like reaction to unexpected smoke smells--my heart steps it up a few beats, and I have a feeling of dread in the pit of my stomach. Not again. Not here. Not this year (or any other). Please.

2 comments:

Tina said...

oh, I know what you mean. the smell of smoke has a whole new meaning now!

Jen said...

It certainly has changed the way I view the fall now.