Wednesday, October 1, 2008

NOT Asthma?

So after thinking that the coughing calmed down, shortly after I published my last post, the coughing began again....great!

I woke the boy up enough to come downstairs and listened to him--he sounded like he was breathing, and it hasn't been close to the 4 hours they like us to wait between treatments. So he drank and drank and drank, and then I had a flash of genius!

Yes, we treated this cough with.... are you ready?...... vanilla pudding! I had a cold pudding cup and my theory was that if it was just a tickle, Toph needed something that would soothe and coat his throat--nothing says soothing throat coater like pudding. So he ate pudding. And guess what? The coughing mostly stopped!

Today we saw our doctor. I like him very much, but I didn't feel like he was totally listening today. He said that Toph's oxygen saturation was good (97%) and that he wasn't wheezing (this is the part where he wasn't listening, because TOPH DOESN'T WHEEZE!) and that Toph was moving air pretty good, so he didn't think it was asthma.

There's a virus going around that has BAD coughing and can lead to laryngitis, and based on Toph's symptoms and the absence of wheezing (in a kid that DOESN'T wheeze), he felt like Toph was suffering from the virus.

So instead of the steroids I thought we'd leave with, we left with some cough medicine. We'll see. Two more days is all I'll give this, and then we're going back to the doctor or going to a completely different one! Robert works with a guy who's married to an awesome Pediatrician. Her office isn't close to our home, but maybe we'll have to brave the drive. She understands asthma. Time will tell.

For now we'll give Dr. P the benefit of the doubt and go with the flow a little bit longer. I just HATE watching my kid suffer!

6 comments:

Doreene said...

I hope it is not asthma. Give Toph a hug from me and keep one for yourself!

Unknown said...

Um, you do realize that I'll just refill some albuterol for you guys? But I am also happy to see Topher if you need me to:)

Maree said...

Rachel, THANKS!! We do have Albuterol. Doc. P does not believe in Codeine either--great..... But tonight the ranks are fairly quiet. Maybe he was more right than I gave him credit for. But if you read this, PLEASE SEND ME AN EMAIL with your office information. I don't want to just "use" you and abuse our friendship, but I'm feeling little itch to switch.

Jen said...

I am loving the new fall background! I feel for you guys. Bryce had asthma really bad as a baby, but it has completely subsided. Hopefully Toph will feel better soon...then you can get some needed rest.

P.S. Thanks for meeting me for breakfast...even sleep deprived as you were.

Alicia said...

Oh what an adventure! I'm glad I haven't had to deal with anything like this because I wouldn't be 1/2 as qualified to know all the stuff you do about medicine! :)

3WimmerBoys said...

I love your new background, but I am sorry about your health issues. There is nothing more frustrating than wanting to help your kids and not being able to. I know you'll make the right decision about the doctor, what we won't do for our kids!