Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Scorching Santa Anas


So yesterday it was 77 here--according to weather.com. Nice, right? Nothing that nice lasts forever.

Enter a Santa Ana wind event. At noon today, it was 93--with only 8% humidity. In Robert's work zip code, it was 97--with only 5% humidity (and he works CLOSE to the ocean). This BIG fluctuation in temperature is a KILLER! The wind stirs up stuff that's bad for asthmatics and other allergy sufferers.

The low humidity causes us to get electrocuted every time we touch something. That particular pain was SO much worse in our temporary housing when we first moved here. We had NEW carpet and microfiber sofas--a bad combination if you don't want to get zapped.

We'll live--that's for sure. It's the price we pay to live in paradise. You know, the sky is a color here that doesn't exist elsewhere--GORGEOUS! And, although we roast all day, the nights are still pleasant. I've learned that if I keep ALL windows closed--and curtained--my house still is pretty comfortable (at least downstairs). When the sun starts to go down and the temperature outside drops, we open up the whole house and get a breath of fresh air. And do it all over again tomorrow.

And thank goodness that we don't usually suffer with Santa Anas more than 3 days at a time. If we could only do it without the 20-25 degree temperature differences!

4 comments:

diane said...

At least we're not having fires right now.

ferntyler said...

You know I blame all odd behavior, irritability, tiredness on the weather - makes sense, right? I want to hate it because my lungs hurt, but I can't help but love the sunshine!

Jen said...

I was just looking at the color of the sky tonight. Even though the sun has been down for hours now. The sky is still a brilliant cobalty blue.

Harper Family said...

I didn't realize that we don't have Santa Anas more than 3 days at a time--very interesting. This year I've had a really hard time with asthma with those darn Santa Anas.