Friday, February 6, 2009

GREAT Advice!

Parents Should Lovingly Correct a Child’s Actions
from Family Gems

“When a child needs correction, you might ask yourself, ‘What can I say or do that would persuade him or her to choose a better way?’ When giving necessary correction, do it quietly, privately, lovingly, and not publicly. If a rebuke is required, show an increase of love promptly so that seeds of resentment may not remain. To be persuasive, your love must be sincere and your teachings based on divine doctrine and correct principles.” Russell M. Nelson, “Salvation and Exaltation,” Ensign, May 2008, 9-10

Elder Nelson is one of the 12 Apostles in my Church. He gives AWESOME talks--this is taken from a talk he gave in a General Conference last year. I think it's sage advice, and I really *try* to employ his suggestions as often as possible. Hugs and kisses after the rebuke are great too--especially with little ones. It helps remind them that you can dislike the BEHAVIOR and still love the PERSON. It's getting harder to parent now though, as my children get older, because they are exercising their free agency--and I don't always like what they choose. I guess that's how Heavenly Father feels about us. And to me, He'd probably say, "suck it up!" Well, maybe he'd be nicer about it.....

2 comments:

Heidi said...

great advise sis, I will "try" my best too :) Love you guys

Alicia said...

Since reading this, I've been trying a lot harder to be nicer to Hailey, especially in public. Thanks for sharing!