Sunday, February 22, 2009

Musings (Rantings) of an (not) interior designer....

Ok, I had ONE class in college, and I don't remember most of it, but there surely must be "rules" for creating a space that "flows," and I'm PRETTY sure it does NOT include 6 different types of flooring!

I DO love our new house. There are also things I DO NOT love. I (mostly) love the carpet. There's basically no pad left to speak of, so it's a bit like walking on concrete. And I'm not sure I'd choose black and white for myself (blue and white, yes), but I LOVE that it's mulit-colored AND it has a pattern: the dirt doesn't show very easily!

I DO love that our bathroom floor has blue tiles (with the white) and that it has BLACK grout. On purpose. That's different than the black grout by the fireplace--I'm pretty sure that grout is supposed to be white.

And white grout on a floor? WHO was smoking crack when that decision was made? I'd like to give them a piece of my mind--or a mop.

And I think my old floor must have been dirtier that I previously thought. Because now that we've got WHITE tile in the KITCHEN, I find myself sweeping multiple times each day and mopping more frequently--and it's a PAIN! White tile in a KITCHEN?! Oh please!

I do like that the paint type (while I'm uncertain SPECIFICALLY what type it is) is NOT flat paint. Whoever invented FLAT paint should be shot. What kind of crackhead decided THAT was a good idea? Someone without kids, that's for sure.....

I would also like to submit that builders should not only need to get their plans approved by the city, but they should also have a group of women who should have to look over the plans--because a woman (or a man who spends ANY time in a kitchen) would have things to say about the lack of storage. I know that's a rampant problem here in SD, but for pitty's sake! Are we to have NO belongings?

Making our new home "work" has been WORK. It's still a work in progress, and we're tackling it at a slow pace. Despite my complaints, I DO like the new home. I LOVE the location. I LOVE the HUGE back yard. I LOVE how quiet it is. I LOVE that we get to stay at the same school. There's a lot to LOVE, if I don't get myself sidetracked with the stuff that's NOT to love.....

Just a matter of perspective........

3 comments:

Jen said...

I think your house is great! Though white tile is a huge chore. I miss you...I had assumed you went out of town last week. We were pretty much stuck inside. I look forward to seeing you at the park on Wed. :D

Heidi said...

sounds like someone was a little confussed when they were doing the grout. keep us posted, I know I've been a stranger lately---but I love you guys mucho!

award said...

I can't wait to see your place. Remember how I CHOSE (off-)white tile to put in the kitchen in my first house? It was great until Emma was old enough to eat in a highchair. That was the end of my love for the stuff!!! Good luck :-)