Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Faith-Promoting Work

How fast do you think you can mobilize a bunch of Mormon Moms? Well, it's easy to do when you've got 5 out for dinner and you get, in this case, bad news. All of us have cell phones; all of us use them. It's amazing how fast you can gather and organize a group of folks in just 30 minutes.

That's the Relief Society in ACTION!

Friends of ours are moving to Guam--husband is in the military. Sunday night, their oldest (of 4) was pushed off the top bunk and broke his arm. Yesterday their baby (10 months?), in the 4 seconds he was unsupervised, got into some medicine and could have died! We were informed at dinner, one of our group (a SUPERwoman, in my book) left to go to their house to see if she could stay with the other kids, so Dad could join Mom at the hospital. We finished our dinner and then headed over. We'd made phone calls and determined who was taking which kids and what we could do to help. When we got back to their house, the kids had already been arranged for--more Relief Society phones were burning up the air time. All of us have moved and know the chaos of moving (much less moving out of the country!) and we all realized that it could have happened to ANY of us!

We got to visit in the hospital for a few minutes last night, and the baby took a turn for the worse during the night--seizures and breathing problems. I'm sure they received TONS of prayers in their behalf. I'm not sure if I ever have stopped praying for their little one yet! This morning, kids were farmed to other friends' houses, their second car was retrieved from the first hospital they were at (oh, yeah, Little One was transferred to a Children's hospital--good move!), we got to visit at the hospital again this morning and take some snack food. The second set of movers came today and the house got cleared. Kind friends and some Young Women from Church came tonight to do last minute tidying and pantry clearing.

Little One got extubated this morning, and he woke up (finally) tonight--and he was being given solid food, last I heard. I know he had a CAT scan (which came back fine) and they're monitoring his liver and kidney function, so he'll be in the hospital until probably tomorrow. The family flies out on Monday morning.

But this little family has seen a miracle this week. And it has left us all affected. We've all realized how fragile this life is and how totally dependant we are on our Heavenly Father. Lots of LITTLE things combined were accomplished by many helping hands.

I LOVE it when we have success stories about many hands making light work--or at least fellow brothers and sisters showing an increase of love and compassion to TRY to help each other. Wouldn't the world be a much better place if there was MORE of this?!

I remeber when we moved here. I couldn't have done it without the kindness of friends and loved ones. There was just SO much to do; it was overwhelming to even think about it.

Little One and his family: We love you and will miss you! We're so glad we got to help out! Please come back to CA when you're done with Guam....as if you get to decide! :-)

(additional link to something on Relief Society)

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Oh no! Poor Brady! I hope that everything works out for them! That is such awful timing. I'll glad that everyone was able to help! I wish I could have been there although it sounds like it was all covered. I'm so glad he's alright...

Harper Family said...

I love that you posted this. I would have been in trouble for privacy reasons :)

Jen said...

I am glad you posted this too. Seriously, watching all of my friends step up along side of me to help out another friend has been so comforting. I now know undoubtably that my support system is well equipped for anything in a moments notice. Our Relief Society rocks!!

Sunshine said...

I have tears in my eyes. After participating and watching everyone in action this week, I have the strongest testimony of the Relief Society now! I love you guys!

Maree said...

Love you back!