Thursday, August 21, 2008

Third Day of School, First Time in TROUBLE!




It was bound to happen--I just didn't expect it to happen so fast.

In Hannah's new classroom, there's a behavior management technique the teacher uses. All the kids have a clothes pin with their names on it around a sun. The sun is where you want to be. If you misbehave, you have to put your name on the rain cloud--but you can earn your way back!

Hannah has a short fuse..... Hannah gets physical at home..... We worried.....

Hannah came to greet me this afternoon, not as buoyant as usual. Her first words were, "I had to go on the rain cloud today." She told me what she did and we talked about what she could have done instead, and she went on her merry way. I talked to her teacher about it, and Mrs. C. said that Hannah didn't get in trouble for what she told me, but she got in trouble for sticking her tongue out at another student and making a face.

Of course Hannah cried--she's a Drama Queen. Mrs. C. just explained that what she'd done was something unacceptable--that's not how we treat our friends. She also explained that she wasn't MAD at Hannah. Soon Hannah scampered off to Lunch, and she found her way back to the sun.

WHEW!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha! I remember in first grade having to "pull my card," changing it from green to yellow. The one and only time and I was mortified! In third grade we had apples in an apple tree with our names on them. My apple NEVER moved from the tree. Talk about gullible behavior modification!

diane said...

Reminds me of that song, Here comes the sun,do-dun-doo-doo...I't all right!