Monday, August 18, 2008

Husband CLONED!!!

How could I forget to post this?

Robert was in Vegas 2 weekends ago, and while he was there, his PHONE got cloned! I get nervous when he's gone and I can't make contact, so Friday (they left Thursday) when I didn't get responses to the text messages I sent, I was a little unhappy. Saturday, I got neither text responses nor a voice when I called--just voicemail. Twice his phone went straight to voicemail without even ringing--like his phone was off.

So, I sent an email that basically chewed him out for not charging his phone....Still no response. I ended up texting one of his work buddies (his hotel room mate) and asking him to ask Robert to call home--by this time all kinds of scenerios were running through my mind, all with bad endings. When Robert called that evening, I was SO relieved!

Sunday, I didn't hear much from Robert, but he was in his last day of conference, so I didn't expect much. He called right before they left Vegas, and he texted me a couple of times about traffic. I never got responses to the texts I sent him though. Then I couldn't reach him by phone. UGH! NOT AGAIN! When he did get home, I was almost in a panic, "Why weren't you answering your phone? I left at least 9 voicemails!" Robert's phone NEVER rang. It didn't display any missed phone calls or any voicemails received. When he called his voicemail, there were 11--9 from me. Weird!

He called our cell carrier and spent almost 90 minutes on the phone with them Sunday night. His particular phone, the Treo 700p, is vulnerable to cloning--too lenghthy to get into it. Also to note, the fraud/cloning department is ONLY open during business hours, Monday-Friday (because nobody has cloning problems on the weekend?). This was an absolute NIGHTMARE! Sunday night, all our cell carrier could do was note that cloning was suspected, and not allow any incoming calls. It took Robert a LONG time to work out on Monday, but his phone now belongs to him again. We won't know, until we get our bill, how much (if any) was charged to Robert's phone during the cloning--we won't be responsible for it. Oddly, he DID receive a voicemail from someone we don't know in Jamaica--so we think they at least made ONE call!

So, Robert went to a SECURITY conference, got his phone cloned while there, and brought home a nasty respiratory yuck--I'm not so excited about him going next year!

2 comments:

ferntyler said...

that is ironic and amusing :) I used to work in the fraud dept at a cell phone company and we used to see cloning all the time (when we were there Monday=friday i mean), but I thought it was virtually gone with the new cell phones, guess not, sorry about that!

Laura Keith said...

CRAZY!