Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Of course, I cried!

Well, today was the FIRST day of school--and Hannah's FIRST day of Kindergarten! I'll post more later, with pictures, but in case you were wondering,
Yes, of course, I cried!

I was fine until Robert asked if I was fine. So here's the trick: If you think I might cry, don't ask if I'm okay. If you see me crying about something totally stupid, don't ask if I'm okay. Don't even hug me or give me comfort--it just makes me cry. Just ignore me or throw kleenex at me or make silly faces at me. I'll be fine soon.

I'm an emotional person and my eyes leak when I'm happy--seriously. Ask Robert about the day we were married. (I forgot to warn him about the leaking eyes thing, and he thought that I was changing my mind!) After Mrs. C. read "The Kissing Hand" and dismissed the kids to hug and kiss their parents, I (crying) kissed Hannah and told her that I was going to go do the happy dance in the parking lot. All summer long I said that I'd cry when I dropped her off and then I'd go do the happy dance in the parking lot. I don't lie. Well, except that the happy dance was danced right outside the classroom and not in the parking lot (we walked to school today).

Now I'm fine. Oh, how was Hannah? FINE! Not a single tear or even look of nervousness! When the teacher asked the kids if any of them felt like the little raccoon in the story (scared to go to school) she was vehemently shaking her head..... She didn't get the leaking eye gene apparently!

Whoo-Hooo, I'm a part-time empty-nester! I'm going to the store! ALONE!

8 comments:

Heidi said...

Oh you and me sis, I think we got the worst of it when it comes to crying. I swear I think I cried a little yesterday three different times! What an emotional reck we are, I vote that we blame mom!

Anonymous said...

Oh, geez....Paige starts tomorrow. I know I'll cry. I totally warned her tonight before she went to bed. While packing her lunch, I wrote her a little note on her napkin and the water works began in full force. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

Maree said...

Just remember to put kleenex in your pocket, so you don't have to try and find some in the unfamiliar classroom. And pray your child's teacher doesn't read "The Kissing Hand." That was my undoing! :-)

Then go do the happy dance in the parking lot!

Sunshine said...

Oh the fun you will have this year! Hannah sure looked grown up at school...she was as ready as you were!

lisa said...

i'm an emotional wreck as well. even a really good tv. show or song on the radio will do the trick. i'm right there with you!!

ferntyler said...

why can't our kids just as least fake a little sadness? my little preschooler couldn't even pretend to be sorry to have to leave home for a couple of hours..

Laura Keith said...

I know those genetic emotions! I'm right there with you! I still have 5 years before I'm a part time empty nester too! Ugh! But boy was I happy to have the older boys start school monday! I went to the school with only 2 kids in tow! Yippee!

diane said...

Oh Happy Day!