Sunday, June 29, 2008

Gas Pains

So Wednesday I had to be home for the Internet Installer guy--that's why I neglected my SPF at the pool.....

He was rather talkative. Said he lived in Mexico but stayed in CA for part of the week. I asked if the commute was bad, and he said that if you were at the boarder around 4:30 AM, the wait was ONLY 60-90 minutes--NOT bad?! At 4:30 AM they'd better be giving out cars if I'm waiting in a line! ....but I digress......

He said that he stayed in CA part of the week, so he didn't have to make the long commute. I asked about gas prices, and he said that in Mexico, gas is around $2.88/gallon.

$2.88/gallon?! Remember when we thought THAT was highway robbery?

So, how come 40 minutes from here gas is so CHEAP and gas here is/was $4.55? And then in parts of Europe it ranges from $7/gallon to $15/gallon? Is there NO regulation? Who's getting rich off of all that? Is Mexico gas the same as gas from CA?

Remember the "Back to the Future" movie where the Delorean ran on GARBAGE? I want one of those!

2 comments:

Ritters said...

I think it all has to do with taxes. I know europe has way higher taxes. I maybe wrong but I think that is why there is a difference.

lisa said...

i think it is all politics and capitalism. oil companies have been posting record profits. they are charging us a lot BECAUSE THEY CAN!! what are you going to do, stop driving?