Monday, June 2, 2008

Happy Retirement, Dad!


This past weekend my Dad celebrated his impending retirement, so we loaded into the car and drove to Fresno to attend the celebratory dinner.

In trying to keep up with all that needs to be done in my own life, I haven't given much thought to what retirement actually means for my Dad. He's been working my whole life (that's a good thing), and now he has permission to NOT work. He can just watch the grass grow, if that's what he wants to do.

My Dad is a teacher and has probably touched more than a thousand students in his career (No Robert, not physically TOUCHED!). He is a GOOD teacher, because he has a passion for the actual TEACHING. My Dad has an administrative credential too, and he could have made more money being a principal, but he loves the TEACHING and not the politics. His school will miss him, because he's a hard worker and honestly cares about the kids. Several people spoke at his dinner on Saturday and they all commented on his genuine goodness. And then my Dad spoke and I was so proud. One of his final comments was that he wanted to make Kratt (the name of his school) a better place when he left than it was when he got there--EXACTLY!

So at the close of school on June 12, my Dad will have NOTHING but time on his hands. He will be FREE to do whatever he wants. He deserves the freedom. He has worked hard for a long time. I wonder if he'll get bored?

When I retired from teaching, I immediately went into my second career--that of being a Mom. And I rarely miss those days in the classroom. My teaching moments are much more frequent, although without the benefit of the lesson plans that dictated my life for so long. Now Hannah will be starting school in August, and I will have FREE time too. I don't expect to get bored for a long while. I'm looking forward to better keeping up with the other WORK of motherhood. I'm very glad I didn't have to juggle both jobs at the same time.

Dad has joyously told us "the countdown" for most of the last 2 years now--I wonder what will be the next countdown? Seriously Dad, WAY TO GO!!! HAVE FUN!!!! ENJOY your retirement!

3 comments:

Heidi said...

Dad seemed so happy, I'm glad you were able to come. I loved how Robert mentioned the "touching" of kids, it lighten the mood. Dad now can come over more often, he has no excuse. We shall see.... :) I hope so, I want to go to san diego too.

diane said...

Teachers have a difficult job and I admire them greatly!

award said...

Nice touch! He really will watch the grass grow I think!