Thursday, June 26, 2008

The very air we breathe

I am a life-long asthmatic. We moved HERE partially because of asthma. Call me crazy, I like breathing. My parents commented on the "dirty" sky. I told them it was probably just a little bit of morning fog (after all, it WAS the morning). I think the air was dirty, not fog.

It isn't often hard to breathe here because of the air quality. After the fires in October, it was bad. But on the whole, it's pretty easy to breathe here. Good ocean breezes keep us clean.

When my parents got home, I called to make sure they got there safely, and they said that the air got dirty around Escondido, and got worse as they drove. Apparently, the entire state is on fire, and the geography DOES keep pollution and air dirty in Fresno.

It's safe to say that, once again, I'm happy to live HERE. I looked at our AQI (Air Quality Index) for today--60 for particles (moderate zone) and 36 for ozone. Fresno's AQI was 152 for particles and 142 for ozone. Basically, an asthmatic (at least this one) can feel the "dirty" air around 80-90. At 152, this asthmatic would be basically moving around as little as possible. Because dirty air is much harder to breathe, physical restrictions are a MUST. When the air quality is bad, folks with breathing problems must stay inside. When it's hot in Fresno, the air quality is usually bad--so summer was GREAT (not!). I also checked the AQI for Sacramento (my sister lives there): 184 for particles and 175 for ozone--YIKES! Stay inside, Laura!

Again, I'm very grateful to be living HERE right now. I hope the fires stop, so that the rest of the state can breathe again!

For those of you who want to see the website, it's HERE.

5 comments:

Heidi said...

Fresno sucks, the air is horrible and we can't be outside for more than 5 minutes! :*(
Wishing you were here but in a bubble so you could still breathe...just kidding!

Alicia said...

That's amazing! I always knew the air quality was bad in the Central Valley, I'd just never looked at the numbers. I'm glad you're here!

Ritters said...

I just went to target about an hour ago and with the heat and the gross air. I felt sick when I got home. Not to mention being 9mths preggers. The boys haven't even been able to swim the last few days. Yuck!

lisa said...

the air hear has been brown since sunday, and the quality is really unhealthy. i miss the coast!

Laura Keith said...

don't i know it! thank goodness the breezes started blowing yesterday, i think tomorrow is supposed to only be under 150. wishing i was you!