Thursday, June 26, 2008

Grandparents' Visit

A week ago, my parents came from Fresno for a visit. "We wanted to escape the heat," they said. WRONG week to visit! Saturday it was 107 here--still cooler than 110 in Fresno, but NOT cool.

We managed to enjoy ourselves any way. Thursday we celebrated their arrival with dinner at Yanni's Bistro (YUM!).

Friday we met my Mom's friend, Jeanine, and her granddaughter at the beach in Oceanside. The kids played in the water and it was nice and cool. Hannah entertained us with her shark sightings. She would NOT get close to the water, and when I finally dragged it out of her, she told me that she was afraid of all of the sharks. I laughed and said that we didn't have any sharks here, and Hannah argued with me because SHE SAW THEIR FINS. That turned out to be sailboats in the distance. Too cute! One time when I was holding Hannah's hand and jumping in the waves, I wasn't paying attention and Hannah got knocked down. That pulled me down too, since I was holding her hand. I landed ON A ROCK ON MY KNEE--ouch!


I couldn't get Hannah to go in the water because of the SHARKS--er, sailboats.



Hannah Playing in the sand.

Toph posing for me.

Toph, Hannah, and Ashley playing in the waves.

More waves.

More playing in the sand.

Hannah striking a pose while Topher and Ashley go to the waves.

Saturday we went to tour the Midway. We've been before, but my parents hadn't. I think we all learned something new and saw places we hadn't seen before. Me and my ouchy knee decided to sit on a bench in the shade for some of the tour. I was also very grateful for the big misting fans on the outside deck.

Sunday was resting and Church. We showed Grandma and Grampa a Blu-Ray movie and wowed them with our technology that evening.


The view from the Midway is WONDERFUL!


Sometimes I wish we had a brig at home......

Introducing Pilot Topher.

Introducing Pilot Hannah.

I just can't look at this statue enough--it's my favorite!

Monday we went on a harbor tour. The cool thing about that was that we got to see a warship going out to sea and we also saw a hovercraft for the first time. True to her entertaining nature, Hannah gave us giggles as she spotted RED SHARKS in the water--just the buoys.

Even though it wasn't very cool (until the grandparents were LEAVING), we still had a nice visit. Then the weather turned back to paradise--hmmmm, did the grandparents bring the heat?

Doesn't Papa Bob look like a tourist?

This is the warship we passed as it went out to sea.

This is the hovercraft as we passed--really neat.

1 comment:

lisa said...

i love the midway. i love anything dealing with history, and i found the midway so interesitng!! glad you had fun!!