Sunday, May 25, 2008

Body Mechanics--a first-rate rant

Warning: This post is a rant. Proceed at your own risk.

I've been giving this topic a lot of thought during the past week, and I just have to get it out of my system. Some of you have heard this rant before. I mean NO disrespect to any health professionals who may read this.

In this age of technology, NONE of us should be ignorant of things pertaining to our bodies. In the same light, I wish folks would stop looking at their doctors as gods. Doctors are MECHANICS--of the body, and they are HUMAN. They have specialized training, enabling them to care for the physical body--just like your car mechanic has had specialized training enabling him to care for your vehicle. You HIRE your car mechanic, right? So your attitude about your doctor should be the same. They are not gods to be treated with awe and wonder. Yes, they know more about the body than most, because they've suffered a long time in school. But you still HIRE them to care for your body. Even if your insurance limits WHO you can hire, your doctor still works FOR you! And if you are not satisfied with your doctor, YOU CAN FIRE him/her. I've done it before. And since the work they perform for your body can cure or kill you, you SHOULD be comfortable with your doctor!

Short story: I have some health issues and have had many health professionals care for me in my lifetime. I had some sinus issues several years ago. I was unhappy with my ENT. He had a superior attitude and I felt he "talked down" to me. I'm not ignorant when I go to my appointments. I DO research ahead of time. This doctor told me that I needed to eliminate all dairy from my diet (Dairy is evil!). Then he looked in my nose and prescribed an "allergy" shot. I asked how he could tell what was wrong just from looking in my nose? He was offended that I would question his judgment. I allowed the "allergy shot" and made my follow-up appointment--but already I was starting to question. The doctor had NOT told me the name of the drug in the injection--I should have asked, but I didn't. What if it would have an adverse reaction with some of the other drugs I was taking? They didn't even ASK what other medications I was on--standard procedure most places. When I got the bill, the name of the injection ended with "-sone." Because of my up close and personal relationship with Prednisone, I know that most drugs ending with -sone are going to be steroids. I looked it up, and that was the case. That doctor got fired. He was not honest with me about the treatment he prescribed. Yes, sometimes steroids are a good treatment option, but I was not given all of the facts, so that I could make an informed decision--and I DID NOT ASK! The fault was mine too. Incidentally, when I started with a new ENT (in the same practice), I asked how Dr. X could tell what was wrong by LOOKING inside my nose. Dr. Y said that it was not possible--there are bones and other things in the way--which is what I'd felt was true all along. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!

Our Fresno Pediatrician is an old family friend, and a darn good doctor! When I became a mother myself, I was fortunate to be able to choose Dr. Jones. He always said that he trusted the Mama's Intuition. I would feel foolish for taking my baby in to be seen when she was just extra grumpy or not sleeping normally--but my "gut" said that something was wrong. And 99% of the time, it was. Recently, I was taking Hannah in to the doctor, and I was prepared to tell him that "he could find something wrong that could be fixed, or he could take her home." Once again my "gut" was saying that something was wrong--and she can TALK now and tell me these things. She was sick. I'm glad I took her in. TRUST YOUR GUTS!

Another beef I have is folks who are ignorant about the medications they take. People tell me I should be a pharmacist. I'd actually LOVE to do that, but I'm afraid that I could NOT pass the chemistry and math requirements to obtain that degree. But I can memorize drug names, doses, and side effects. So can anyone else. I guess it's just a sick hobby of mine, no pun intended. If you're going to take a medication, even an OTC, why NOT do a bit of research and figure out what it's supposed to do for you? For instance, did you know that most OTC sleep aids ( Sominex, Compoz, Tylenol PM, and Unisom) are the same ingredient and dose as Benedryl--an antihistamine? It's cheaper in it's generic form than the sleep aids too. Pay attention to the label and the dosage. Pharmacists aren't infallible either.

I believe that folks should go to their doctor appointments prepared--research things out ahead of time, ASK QUESTIONS, take someone else with you--don't just blindly accept. You should be in partnership with your doctor in the caring for your body--YOU own it! YOU'RE the one who ultimately has to LIVE with the consequences--take some ownership! So that's it--I just wish people would put some effort into being more informed. It's not hard to do in this information era. Let it be a force for good in your life. Knowledge is POWER. The end.

6 comments:

diane said...

Oh man, do I relate to this. I have many drug allergies and sensitivities. I've used eastern and western medicine to deal with all of my health issues. I have an internist that started her own clinic of integrative medicine. I love that you can get a prescription and accupuncture at the same location!

lisa said...

i think we all feel you. i love my new pediatrician because he didn't fight with me when it came to my baby's care. man, i miss you!!

Harper Family said...

I agree. I've had some recent bad luck with a dentist so I think the same wisdom goes for them too.

US... said...

I totally agree. ITs had to find a good doc these days who actually want to help you instead of jsut get threw the patients and make some money.

ferntyler said...

that whole benadryl thing cracks me up, like how i used to take it and wonder why I was tired all the time, then I checked the ingredients and realized that is probably why - not to mention that now Tylenol PM doesn't work on me anymore. I pride myself on being an internet dr as well (although that didn't do me a lot of good when Brooke broke her arm, because my x-ray abilities are lacking :))

Jen said...

It is so nice to get home and read your rant. It just solidifies how much fun you bring to my life....I completely agree Knowledge is POWER!!!