Friday, May 9, 2008

Something Useful!

I subscribe to the lifehacker feed on my Google Reader. It's a LOT of techie stuff, but there's other life stuff that I find interesting. But they post about 20 posts each day, so you have to LOOK for the non-techie things. www.lifehacker.com

Anyway, today I was looking through the 19 posts thus far, and there was something about looking up the annoying telemarketer phone calls. There's a cool website called "caller complaints" (http://www.callercomplaints.com/). If you have Caller ID (and, besides my parents, who DOESN'T?!) you can type in the phone number of who's calling you. If they know, they'll tell you. You can also lodge a complaint on their website, but BETTER--go to www.donotcall.gov. IF you're on the national "do not call" list (and who ISN'T?!) you can file a complaint. They'll investigate. And, if the person phone harassing you is not an "allowed" harassment, they can be fined!! I'm ALL for that!

Now if I could only do something about all of the charities who call me RELENTLESSLY. I mean, the Police call WEEKLY trying to get me to give them money! I love having police to serve and protect, but the money tree in my backyard has given up the ghost.

So, investigate your most annoying unknown telemarketing phone calls and TELL ON THEM! No, I'm not in favor of tattling, but in these circumstances, it's okay. Just don't tell my kids!

No comments: