Thursday, May 8, 2008

Snap, Krackle, POP!

So Hannah and I have been having a love/hate relationship. She loves to hate me. Some of the time. At least she hasn't said it lately, so that's progress.

Hannah is NOT a morning bird, so I was a little bit surprised to find her awake and talking to me at 6:20 Tuesday morning. Her nose wasn't working, because it wasn't letting the air in--her words, I swear.

So, I say to myself, "we can't keep doing this. She's not sleeping and she's crabby. It's just like when she was a baby. It's time to go to the doctor." POP--I'd had it with the weirdness.

I made the appointment, because, I figure, she's got a sinus infection. I've been pouring all manner of drugs down her throat for almost 2 weeks. What started as "probably allergies" (since we all did the same thing at the same time) has progressed to something truly miserable for my girl. At lunch, Hannah was giving me a hard time, because she didn't want to go to the doctor--"You just worry too much. I'm NOT sick and I don't need to go to the doctor. So stop your worrying." I have mentioned that she's 5 going on 35, right?

We went to the doctor. NOT only did she have a sinus infection, but she also had an ear infection. HOW DID I NOT KNOW THIS? Maybe because she didn't complain about THAT. Only EVERYTHING else! The only time she complains about her ear hurting is when she is forced to blow her nose. Who knew? At least we have good drugs NOW. And with any luck, we can go back to our "normal" routine.

Our original pediatrician would soothe me by telling me that he always trusts his mamas' intuition--because it's mostly right. I'd bring Hannah in and tell him, "find something you can fix, or you get to take her home." The nurses would laugh, because before you see the doctor and they write down all of your complaints, I'd just tell them that Hannah has been extra grumpy or has stopped eating or has stopped sleeping--and they'd look at me like I'd grown an extra hole in my head. Then Dr. Jones would say that beautiful thing about mother's intuition, and I'd feel better, because my baby WAS sick, and he could make her better so I could take her home. Some things never change.

And then SOME things do--like this crazy weather! I'm going to get bad Mom of the year award for sure. I send Toph to school in short sleeves (because it's been in the 90's) and then it's COLD. The next day I send him in long sleeves, because he's a cold kid--and then it's VERY WARM again. This week, I send him in short sleeves, and it's PRETTY CHILLY. He was fine inside, but not at recess or lunch. I've seriously messed up in the dressing department. Yes, he's capable of dressing himself, but it goes MUCH faster if the clothes are already out and ready to go when he wakes up--and I usually forget to have him do it before bed. So I've resorted to stuffing a sweatshirt into his backpack and telling him that it's his back up for when he's wearing short sleeves and he's freezing. Hopefully that will get him through the May GRAY stuff. We lived here last May, you'd think I'd learn......

Well, tomorrow is another day.........

2 comments:

Jen said...

SERIOUSLY this weather is so Bipolar. I have lived here my whole life and never has the weather changed it's mind so frequently and sudden.

Side note: your post says Thursday at 1:11am...it is now only 11:25pm so I think your posting time is a little off or my computer clock is off and it is much later than I realize??

Jen said...

OK...I am stupid and tired. It would obviously be 1:11am Friday morning if it were later. Seriously...a blonde moment.