Saturday, May 10, 2008

I Don't Wanna Have a Baby.....

This is the theme of conversation between me and Hannah these days.

Apparently having a baby hurts, and you have to get a shot, so Hannah wants NOTHING to do with it! She brings the subject up almost daily now, and even gets emotional (can you say DRAMA?) when discussing it.

Today, she was feeling benevolent, because as she was queueing up the waterworks, she told me that she wished she'd never been born. Great, I was gearing up to hear how Sharon is a better Mom than me, yet again. Instead, she surprised me by changing her drama. TODAY she wishes she'd never been born, because it hurt me, and if she'd never been born, I wouldn't have been hurt.

First of all, there's NO WAY to explain to a 35-year-old 5-year-old that the pain was worth it. You can't truthfully say that it didn't hurt, because it DID. But the pain goes away and it morphs into a 5-year-old--totally different kind of pain! (Please smile, that was a joke of sorts.) She is not in a mental place to understand the in's and out's of childbirth. And, thank you very much, she does NOT know how you "poop out a baby." I've tried to remove this phrase from my vocabulary. She DOES know that sometimes you have to get your tummy cut to get the baby out, and THIS also freaks her out, to no end.

Second of all, WHO TELLS HER THIS STUFF?????????? She's not the only little girl in our circle to be freaked out about this, so WHO is laying on the horror stories? STOP IT!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I can honestly say I never told Hannah about babies being born. She is so smart! I know she will get it if you explain it to her like a scrap on the knee; it hurts but in a few days you're better, silly hannah!