Thursday, September 11, 2008

Chicken Salad Recipe

Ok, first of all, I only use a recipe when I HAVE to--when being accurate matters. Having said that, I'll be happy to share my recipe for Sweet Chicken Salad. I MUST give credit to my sister, Aimee though. She gave me the recipe.

Sweet Chicken Salad

Cooked chicken breasts (sometimes I use canned)
Mayonnaise
Mustard
Salt, pepper, garlic powder (I use Nature's Seasons)
Celery
Granny Smith apples
Crushed pineapple
Slivered almonds (from the salad area of the grocery--Garlic Caesar was the flavor)


Cook your chicken. I've used grilled, crock pot, boiled, and canned. Doesn't matter. Chunk or shred it in a bowl. Add enough mayonnaise to make it moist. Then add a squirt or two of mustard (I don't like enough to really TASTE it). Then sprinkle your seasoning over the whole mess. I tend to go heavy on the garlic. I smash/crush most of the almonds up, because I serve this to people who think they don't like nuts. Cut up the celery and apples (I like small pieces). Toss some in--to your taste. I drain the crushed pineapple and throw some in too--I like enough to get it sweet and moist, but I don't want a big mouthful. THAT'S IT!!!

For a batch as big as I made tonight, I used 4 cans of chicken, 4-5 stalks of celery, 1 1/2 apples, and 2/3 of a big can of pineapple. Obviously, you can adjust to make a bigger or smaller batch.

Happy Cooking!

7 comments:

jennifer said...

i love that you cook the same way i do. a little bit of this a little bit of that...

i want to know if aimee puts the nuts in her chicken salad when she makes it. does she smash them up just like you so she can't taste them?

lisa said...

i have a chicken recipie almost exactly the same!! try adding craisens and curry powder, trust me, it's sooooo good!!

lisset said...

hey maree! thanks for posting on my blog. i love to hear that people like my style and i appreciate the suggestion!
this chicken salad sounds yuuum- i might just have to give it a try! :)

Jen said...

It was so YUMMY! Thanks for sharing your recipe and laughs.

Harper Family said...

I really enjoyed eating your Chicken Salad in the baby croissants. Thanks for sharing.

award said...

I LOVE this chicken salad. I think it's time to make some...yum! And no, Jennifer, I don't put in the nuts!

Sunshine said...

Yummy, yummy! Thanks for sharing!