Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Surfer Boys

(To properly view this post, you need to sing some Beach Boys songs in your mind. I don't know how to do that on the blog for you.)

Robert has been taking some surfing lessons from a couple of guys at work. He's enjoying this new form of exercise a LOT--even though he has only been working on sitting on the board. The standing will come with practice; I have no doubt.

This past weekend, Robert took the kids to a surf shop and purchased some "spring suits" for them--wet suits that are short sleeved and short legged and maybe not as thick. And since we haven't been together as a family to the beach in a YEAR, we remedied that situation. Sad, I know. We live here and even the kids and I have only been ONCE the whole summer. What is wrong with us?! (Part of it is that I am unenthusiastic to find a parking spot in the summer.)


Look at his face! He's having FUN!


Well, we all had a good time. Toph and Robert got to boogie board. Hannah did what she loves to do best at the beach--collect shells. She's decided to be afraid of the ocean, so she's not really "into" swimming or even jumping over the waves. I think that will come with a bit of practice. I got to do one of my favorite things too--listen to the waves (small as they were) crash AND take pictures and video of my favorite people. (I don't know how to get the video onto the blog, so that will wait for another day.)




What I didn't count on was the MUCH cooler weather at the beach. Inland, where we live, it was blue skies and sunny and fairly warm. At the beach, it was hazy/foggy and not very warm. The water was 66 so it had a bit of "bite" until you got in all the way or got used to it (not very long, really). But sitting on the beach, I was wanting a blanket to wrap myself up in--I ended up stealing the blanket we had on the sand.

Boys boogie boarded and Hannah collected shells and was working on a sand castle. At one point, she introduced herself to a little girl next to us, and they worked on the sand together. We were at the beach about 2 1/2 hours, and I'm sure we'll be doing it again soon. Afterward we were all hammered tired (see previous post about the weird virus), but it was SURE NICE to see the ocean again. That's my happy place.

4 comments:

Tina said...

what a fun day at the beach! we definitely didn't get there enough over the summer!

Heidi said...

I'm so glad you had a great time, I wish I was there :(
Give those kiddos a big kiss from me, I love you all!

grandpa halfdime said...

I do hope Robert is better at surfing than I was. There is some genetic positive, one of my cousins was editor for one of the surfer magazines and a very good surfer. Hopefully part of that set of genes passed to R.
Our love to all.

Laura Keith said...

oohhh. Jealous... I wish I was there. It looks so peaceful and beautiful. We live so far from the beach. Take advantage of it! It's too close to not go often.
love you!