Thursday, September 4, 2008

NOT the day I'd ordered.....

Well, in keeping with the theme of "not the month I ordered," today I'm having "NOT the day I ordered..." August was brutal for us, and since we're now in September, I was hopeful that the challenges we had last month were behind us. School has started, we're in our routines, I'm enjoying my new "freedom" and am excited about implementing my plans.

So rewind to 4 am. I was coughing my GUTS out! I'm sure I was affecting Robert's sleep too. But since I hadn't been a "coughing asthmatic," I didn't figure it out. Just kept trying to hack up a lung. Toph got up at 4:45, and that woke me all the way up. So I realized that, not only was I trying to cough up my lungs, but I was also having a very hard time breathing.....an asthma attack? It's been so long I'd forgotten what that was like, but that's exactly what was happening. So I took 2 puffs, helped Toph get settled again, and took 2 more puffs. Whew! AND I fell back to sleep (no minor deal for me).

I got up at regular time, showered, got the kids up, and realized that I hadn't made the lunches last night. So I ran downstairs in my sock feet to take care of that, and VOILA--my socks are wet! HUH? Puddles of water on the kitchen floor surrounding my refrigerator. Wet carpet in the dining room. Wet floor in my pantry. Wet everywhere! Something is WRONG! The food in the freezer is still frozen, but the ice cube tray is full of water with a crust of ice on top. GREAT! The refrigerator is possessed.

Because I didn't have ENOUGH laundry to do, now all of my towels will need to be washed because we've used them to sop up all of the water. I am VERY thankful that I have a carpet shampooer, because I used it to get the water out of the carpet. Now a fan is finishing off the rest of the damp. I'm also thankful that I didn't lose the food in the freezer. And I'm even more thankful that I still have extended warranty coverage and that a guy is coming (not until next Thursday) to look at my refrigerator. Let's cross our fingers and hope that it's something minor.

After I'd sopped up all the water I could and put the towels through the spin cycle so I could put them in the dryer, I got to go to the dentist for my fillings. I haven't had a filling in 15 years, or more. I am still REALLY nervous about going in the first place, but this visit involves a needle and the noise of a drill--NOT something I look forward to. Since I was busy dealing with Amana Lake, I hadn't taken time for breakfast, so the grumbling of my stomach just increased my discomfort.

I have to say that I like my dentist. He's very good, he explains everything very well, and he was in tune with my nervousness. It didn't help that part way through the drilling I started to feel things again......more shot (but I didn't feel that one). And I think the anesthesia is different now. After the first shot, my heart rate increased SO much, I was worried that I was going to have a panic attack. I concentrated on taking some deep, calming breaths and telling myself that the hard part was over, but I felt my heart just racing. It happened after the second shot too, so I need to remember to ask the denist if that was the anesthesia. I don't think it was just me being nervous. At any rate, my little filling is done, and now I have 1 less silver filling. Since I was going to be numb anyway, the dentist drilled out the old silver filling and replaced it with one that would last forever.

So this day is gradually getting better.....no more water on the floor when I came home from the dentist, the dread of fillings is over, my refrigerator has an appointment for a repair, and I can move on and DO something that was actually ON my list. I'm even breathing somewhat better.

Hey, let's try having a GREAT day tomorrow!

6 comments:

Tina said...

man, when it rains it pours, huh? I just hate days like that. hopefully things are looking up for you and that the fridge fix is an easy and inexpensive one!

Heidi said...

I should have called u, Rustin woke me up at $:30 this morning! I think he was missing his aunt Maree.

diane said...

I hate going to the dentist! Glad you're breathing easier.

Sunshine said...

Ugh! I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

lisa said...

i'm sorry that it was such a rough day. but i am glad you blogged about it, i had a good laugh!!

Jen said...

I am sorry you had such a bad day. I too have panic attacks during dentist visits. The dentist told me it had something to do with the epinephrine in the anesthesia. It always makes my heart feel like it is going to jump out of my chest. One good thing about my dentist is he gives me earphones with music of my choosing, so I don't have to listen to the high pitched drilling. I find it really helps.