Monday, September 15, 2008

We are Swimming!

We had swimming lessons this summer, for the 2 weeks immediately AFTER school got out. Swim lessons started at 9, so I wasn't sure how getting my "night owl" up and about was going to work. Some days, it wasn't easy. I guess the 9 am time was a great one, because many people didn't sign up for the really early session. We opted to do swim lessons at the local high school, taught by high school students (under the supervision of a teacher, of course). I wasn't expecting GRAND things, and I was mainly doing it for exposure--this being the first-ever lessons we'd had.

Toph has been terrified of the water, FREAKING if he got water on his face in the shower. Last year he'd probably gotten over it enough to do lessons, but we were so new to SD that I couldn't deal with it. This year was THE YEAR! We've enjoyed going to the beach so much that I wanted my kids to be safe in the water. Hannah was born part-fish, so I didn't think it would be hard for her. I was pleasantly surprised with both kids.....

Hannah had Miss Rebecca for a teacher. She and another girl from our ward at Church were in the same class--just the two of them! LOVED it! Hannah was more adventurous than her brother, and I felt like she was more progressed by the end of the lessons--because she's not afraid of the water.






Topher had Mr. Brandon for his teacher. He and another boy from our ward at Church were in the same class--just the two of them! Toph needed to be pushed more than his friend (or sister). My happiest times were watching him jump into the pool (without holding onto Mr. Brandon's hands) and seeing him swim back to the steps by himself on the last day! WAY TO GO, Toph! He has come SO far this year!






After spending time in Fresno shortly after swim lessons were over, Uncle Matt (a former swim instructor) said that both kids should swim WITHOUT floaties any more! When we were in Fresno, we abided by that, and the kids really improved! When we were back in SD, we'd go without floaties at the pool parties whenever Mom was close by (for Toph). Hannah did her own thing, and she ended up swimming without floaties most of the time, regardless of where Mom was.






Hard to believe these are the same 2 kids who were "non-swimmers" at the beginning of the summer, isn't it? Now we just need to get back to the beach!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I'm so proud of those kidos, I'm so happy they became little fishes :)